Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm just about at the point where I've mustered up enough courage to do the backrest install on my '09. One major concern still nags at my innards though. I've got nearly 30 years of experience with every type of butcher knife made, but I'm at a loss as to what length, shape and style of blade to make the fatal cut with. What kind of knife did most of you use to cut the hole in the seat?

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Budoka

I used a serrated edge knife with a pointed blade which was about 10" long.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
At least you can hide your mistake by just sitting down.

I am guessing you are cutting clear thru in the middle of the seat. I would cut right in the middle where it won't matter to test out my blade. I would want to use a hacksaw blade that has a handle just on the end. Seems it would be a little slow but it should cut with control.

As you said, you first have to find your inner beast, find that turkey cutter and man up.
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
wanna borrow my sawzall :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
I used a knife, don't know what its for, but it was about 11' long, pointed, serrated on both sides, and about 1" wide. Getting the cut and everything to bolt together was more difficult than I had expected. I'm guessing its a bit hit and miss. Luckily, everything worked out.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The instructions are good, I used a razor to make the slit in the seat and then a long serrated knife. Takes a lot of in and out movements to get all the padding out of the way but it is doable.
Here are the instructions and at the end in blue letters there is a video of how to do it
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1800Utopiabackrest.htm

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
I would go down to the local Hospital by the Emergence entrance. You know your Heart is going to stop at least once, might just as well have Medical help handy when you do it.:D
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
163 Posts
I liked the idea someone had of using a welding rod to poke through and determine the angle you would use to cut the padding. I didn't do that and at one point I could see that the knife was poking the vinyl on the seat. Was a pucker moment for sure but I got her in and the heater still works...

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll do the deed on Sunday. Pretty sure all will work out fine, but if I screw it up royally, I can always commit seppuku (ritual suicide by disembowelment). Just joking about the 'hara kiri'; shoot, the M/I will likely finish me off!:eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
When in dout !!

I went through the same thing. It was too much stress so I let the dealer do it !! If they mess up they have to fix it !

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I talked to two different dealers and they wouldn't touch it. They were sckeered.....So I did it myself.:cool:

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good idea Bingo..for you. For my case the dealer is too chicken..he's me!:D:eek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I installed mine last week and have just a little advice. When you run the knife in don't close your eyes.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so I decided that yesterday I was finally going to tackle the backrest. Being the cautious sort that I am I inspected all the contents and read the directions twice before I took the seat off to start the install. In the instructions it shows two different t-bars for the seat pan, one standard and one notched for the wiring for a heated seat (mine). My t-bar was a standard one, has anybody come across this with theirs? Bob from Utopia returned my e-mail enquiry almost immediately, and said they haven't made the notched t-bar since about '04 or '05; so why the two sets of instructions then?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
disregard my last post folks., It's the upper bar that has the notch in it, not the t-bar (as any of you who have already done one of these will already know). Yeesh I can be stupid sometimes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I didn't read the instructions as careful as you. After I installed the back rest I then noticed that bit on the instructions And did not remember seeing a notch, but like I say it was already installed. I called Utopia the next bussiness day and was told that they no longer made the bar "without" the notch. So since my heater still works I didn't bother to check. But I'm still curious as to witch one I have. If they don't make the bar " notched" anymore I wonder if they just made it norrower?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts