Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to install the back rest and the dreaded first cut.
I measured the 2" from the face of the front back rest and it is about 1/4 further back than the picture shows.
Is this normal or is my seat wore more than most?
It is a 2001 with only 20k on it.
Also I tried to find center using the stitiching in the seat, I checked it from the left side and then the right and it is about 1/2 difference.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bob
Normally you can line up a straight edge using seams running down the middle of the seats as a guide, but if that doesn't work, try a seamstress - sewing tape measure. Cloth/canvas tape that rolls up. Your wife, or G/F prolly has one. If not, they are readilly available anywhere (Walmart -dollar store etc) for a buck or so. Measure up and around from the bottom of the seat on either side.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Eye ball it. A 1/4 left or right of center will neither be felt nor noticed. I know: easy to say, hard to digest.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just installed mine today followed the instructions noticed the same thing. Went with it and it turned out fine.:D Now to take a ride and get it adjusted for me.;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All done!!
Looks good except the pad is a little to far back but it is still under the pivot bracket. Tried to move it but it is stuck pretty good so I just left it.
Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Did you check your pulse rate and blood pressure when you made the cut?:eek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Could someone measure the height of the top of the backrest? Either from the top of the stock back pad or from the seat itself. I bought the Kuryakyn back rest and fine it too high up my back.

Thanks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it had been a new bike maybe I would have needed a shot of something, but being an 2001 I just measured about 15 times and made the cut.

The height of the Utopia from the seat base is 8 1/4" to 17", but this is adjustable. There is about 3/4" between the top of the seat and the bottom of the back rest.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
If it had been a new bike maybe I would have needed a shot of something, but being an 2001 I just measured about 15 times and made the cut.

The height of the Utopia from the seat base is 8 1/4" to 17", but this is adjustable. There is about 3/4" between the top of the seat and the bottom of the back rest.
I concur, bob. I have my Utopia up one notch and from the base of the seat it is 17 " to the top of the backrest. At it's lowest setting height it would be close to 16". I find the up one notch easier to flop over and it lays flatter when Mz, Vickie climbs aboard. I like the forward and backward tilt adjustments that I can do on the fly.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Hummmm mine is 19". Looks like a Utopia may be in my future.
At least the external mount that you have can be resold. You are hard pressed to find an used Utopia for sale . Once you install it, it's your seat's for life cosmetically speaking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts