Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed my Utopia backrest today. It was not difficult at all but it takes a little nerve to cut into your seat! I have a few pics here that show the backrest installed as well as some other bling things that I have installed over the last few weeks. The Air Wings in particular are a very nice functional addition. I also installed some Kuryakyn handlebar risers which go unnoticed but they make a big difference if you're 5'6".

I'll have to wait until the weekend to put some miles on the backrest but it sure does feel right just sitting on it in the driveway!

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Very nice looking ride. You are so lucky you only have to wait till the weekend to ride. I have at least 3 months to wait on the weather to let me ride.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3W I think I took it (the climate) for granted for so long but now I do appreciate it more and more. Maybe it's age, wisdom, or maybe it's having the Wing.

Donald

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Looks great Donald. New Orleans will be a walk in the park now.:D

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Tastefully done. Just enough bling to make it sing. I was surprised how much the trunk and saddle bag molding sets cost. They look better on a Black Wing anyway. Did you install the handlebar risers yourself ? Our member " Marco V " was looking for some info on this procedure and I am a future candidate as well. The backrest is great. It takes a lot of the holding on factor out of the long ride. Black is beautiful.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
The bike looks great Donald, and the"body guard" isn't bad either;)

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Your a brave man. I've been thinking about the Utopia Backrest but have held off because of the "cutting" of the seat. I guess I'm a chicken... But after looking at yours and how nice it looks, I may have to get a backbone and just do it.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chopin, I did install the handlebar risers myself. It's not a difficult procedure except that it being the first time you proceed cautiously and slowly... so patience is always required. The hardest part is taking the meter panel off and after you've done that once, then the 2nd or 3rd time is a snap! A couple/few 6mm allen wrench options helps alot... like a driver with an extention and/or a T-handle and/or regular allen wrench but short. It gets a little tight in there.

Two Wheel... I read the instructions so many times I could rewrite them; I hesitated and procrastinated until it was the last item I had to install. After all is said and done it took more guts than brains. I watched this video

and it is just that easy. Once you make the fist deep cut into the padding you do have to 'saw' a little so you can clear some of the foam out of the channel you are cutting into the foam. He mentions it but skips over that part in the video. It sounds scary but it's not difficult. Now that I've done it once, it could be done in less than an hour.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Matt... as much time, effort, and money as I have put into my Wing, her VTX 1300 always seems to draw the attention away from me. I just don't get it :confused:

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Donald, I think it's the color of her bike.........errr maybe?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey Donald , that looks great , like others i am a little nervous as well but i do want to get one and install it my self. Tell me was your seat heated , thats the part that makes me nervous because my seat is heated and the fear of cutting a wire in the seat has stopped me. If anyone out there has done a heated seat please let me know, so when i eventually do cut my seat my hands wont shake :)

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I have heated seats. The wire for the heated seats runs parallel to the knife blade when making the cut. It is also about 2 inches off to the side from the closest point where the knife will travel. If you make sure the serrated edge of the knife blade faces away from the wire, you'll have no issues even if the knife contacted the wire.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
LOL ! I too watched Steve Saunders video a few time before I felt emboldened enough. I'm so confident now that I have even done others with some success.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
LOL ! I too watched Steve Saunders video a few time before I felt emboldened enough. I'm so confident now that I have even done others with some success.
Had it not been for Maestro's tutelage, I would have never had the guts to cut my seat. But he helped me get past the fear and it took us maybe an hour to do the work from unbolting the seat to the point where I was tightening the last bolt when putting it back on.

I will also add that putting the backrest on the bike was the best thing I've done. It makes all the difference in the world as far as comfort goes.

Rapier

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Had it not been for Maestro's tutelage, I would have never had the guts to cut my seat. But he helped me get past the fear and it took us maybe an hour to do the work from unbolting the seat to the point where I was tightening the last bolt when putting it back on.

I will also add that putting the backrest on the bike was the best thing I've done. It makes all the difference in the world as far as comfort goes.

Rapier
To be sure Sire, it was not " ....the most unkindest cut of all. " ~

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Er, "some" success?:eek:
:D;):)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts