Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had a bad experience installing the Utopia back rest, i.e. cutting the wires to the heated seat? Are there any wires that run through the back rest of the seat, or just the bundle of wires seen in the video? Two Honda dealers that I spoke with won't touch it so I'd be doing it myself. Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Did two of them, mine and a buddies. Both heated seats. It is virtually impossible to cut a wire. No wires in the backrest portion. Did you watch Steven Saunder's video ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did watch the video, just looking for some reassurance. Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did mine (heated seat) with no probs... like joe said "watch it again" it will help.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I did mine recently about 6 weeks ago. Watch the video again and again to get reassurance. The only wires Are the ones you refer to. They run the length of the seat shifted off center about 3 inches or so. You could cut the wires if you really tried to but I mean you'd have to force it. If you keep the blade straight you won't hurt a thing. If you want an added level of safety, cut with the serrated edge of the blade pointing in the opposite direction of the wires. It's just one of those frightening firsts that once you're finished you'll know it wasn't all that bad.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
First Call 911 and get the EMT's standing by. Cause your heart just might stop when push the knife into the seat. These other guys have done the electric seat, so I'd listen to them, but do call the EMT's just in case.:rolleyes:
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
258 Posts
Back Rest Install - aka Nightmare on Elm Street

I'm not a mechanical person, however i'm lucky enough to have a professional upolsterer for a friend. We spent over three hours installing the Utopia Backrest. Over half the time was spent trying to get the seat correctly installed. I love the backrest, I even had one installed on my last bike...install time .30 minutes. Pay close attention to the instructions and you may have an easier time than we did. :)
T-rex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts