1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
too late i just added seafoam to both wings

·
Registered
741 Posts
I used to burn Castor oil in my 4strokes for the marvelous smell. In a way I miss 2strokes, on the other hand, I don't.

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
Any kind of upper cylinder lubrication is needed with today's fuel.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
I have never used anything except products like Seafoam or Stabil added to the fuel system, but if I was going to use something like that I think I would stick with the Mystrey Oil since I have heard of others using it. JMHO

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think the majority of Wings out there with 100K+ use nothing but gasoline with no additives. I can only think that the wrong additive will wreak havok with O2 sensors and possibly catalytic converters. Our engines are designed to run nowadays without the previous lubricity (AKA lead) of fuel products, hence hardened valves and valve seats. Realistically, I don't feel adding a small amount of oil would hurt anything. I'm sticking to no additives as I ride often (no stale fuel) and do not have to deal with exteme weather/temperature fluctuations here in California.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I use Seafoam every 3 or 4 tanks in the summer and every tank in the winter. I am giving this 2 cycle oil a test. There are folks claiming they are getting 3 or 4 miles per gallon better using a small amount of 2 cycle oil. We will see.

As some of you might know.... I put a car tire on my bike to see how that would work out. It is working pretty good.

·
Registered
768 Posts
All I can think of is carbon build up and the possibility of shorter run times on your plugs. I don't see the benefit of adding oil of any type to a 4 stroke engine. I wont be adding any to my Wing.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All I can think of is carbon build up and the possibility of shorter run times on your plugs. I don't see the benefit of adding oil of any type to a 4 stroke engine. I wont be adding any to my Wing.
Thanks for your comment.

I don't think one ounce of oil in 5 gallons of gas is going to cause fouling of plugs. I see lubrication benefits and the cleaning properties of that two stroke oil to help maintain a clean fuel delivery system.

I have a case of this oil left over from my boating days, so I will give this a trial for awhile and see how the mpg and over all performance goes.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
ATF also works to clean fuel injectors and lubricate the upper end of the fuel system. Same as Lucas fuel treatment or Amsoil. That being said I use Lucas fuel treatment and Amsoil Oil. I don’t think the 2 stroke oil would hurt anything. But there probably wouldn’t be much benefit either. Keep us posted on the results please thanks.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I can explain it this way the gasoline will breakdown the oil but while doing so it will effect the viscosity of the fuel and the octane rating how much I am unsure but for sure any lubrication qualities will be lost as the fuel breaks it down btw if oil belonged in fuel or if there is any benefit to it without liability there would be a a half a dozen oil injector kits for sale by now to drive my point home is you just bought a 5 gallon jug of water would you first add a ounce of urine to it before you drink it I am sure no harm would come of it but yuck who wants to drink pee if your bike could talk I bet it would be begging you not to do it

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know there is a lot of "snake oil" sellers out that promise to do almost anything so I tend to research as best as possible. The bad part is that "we" want the new additive to work so bad that we set ourselves up to believe something works when it really doesn't.

A mileage boost of 1-2 mpg isn't a lot unless that boost got you to the next gas station out in the middle of nowhere, and there are varying reports on the mpg boost. I don't really see where the ashless 2-stroke oil being used at 1 oz / 5 gallons would cause harm, but not sure it will do a lot of good either.

Is it possible that the 2-stroke oil would help protect the top end of the piston? I know the posts seem to say it does, but I haven't seen a test of two engines with a teardown afterward to compare wear and tear. I know my old 2-stroke ran great up until the auto-inject didn't work and fried a piston.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Exactly, keep us posted Larry.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
My $.02 is that if there is a little enough amount disolved in the fuel as to not produce a negative effect, then that same amount would have no benefit either. Anything that increases the 'thickness' of the fuel will have some negative effect on injector nozzles and possibly carburator jets though. If an additive for fuel is what you are looking for, I'd stick with a tested and proven ones like Seafoam , Injectrclean and the like.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I rode 360 miles this weekend and the first tank with the oil in it got 42 mpg and the 2nd without it got 41. In other words the same. I did take some pleasure in knowing I was using up some of that 2 stroke oil that was sitting in the garage getting older.

I will continue using it in the 1 oz to 5 gallons and see the long term results. I also put some in my 08 Ford Ranger at the same ratio.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Thanks Larry. I appreciate your honesty in noticing no difference. I was kinda hoping that your mileage jumped up cause I got some old 2stroke oil laying around too. I also heard that sawdust in your transmission really smooths things out. Anybody?

·
Registered
768 Posts
My dad was a transmission mechanic for most of his life and he owned a few shops as did I however he would fire the first mechanic on the spot whom even cleaned out a pan with a shop towel because of the lint getting in the valve body he would shoot someone for even thinking about saw dust LOL

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
The only time I have used 2 stroke oil is: When you have an engine that has been sitting for a long time. A long time being a couple of years. The idea is to lubricate to valves and I put a lot of oil in. It smokes like crazy but the valves don't stick. At a later stage I can show you the results of a valve that stuck because I didn't put the oil in. The piston came up at 6000 rpms hitting the open valve. The valve broke off with a little bit of stem which spun around and put a hole right in the middle of the piston stopping it dead in it tracks. The force was so great it marked the crank shaft. What it would do for new bikes with all their computor control is your guess. Eric

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ran Penn 2-cycle marine TC-W3 through my carburated 2002 Kawasaki Concours for the last week. I don't feel any change except maybe a little smoother idle, but that is probably more imagination than anything. I know from reading they talk about 2 tanks before much will be seen, and I will probably stay with it for a while. Wonder if the TC-W3 is the reason I twisted my speedo cable in two this week. ;)

No, I am not brave enough to use my 2010 GW as a test bed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts