Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have one of those Harbor Freight bike lifts, you know, not a drive-on type, but the smaller lift (like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-atv-motorcycle-lift-2792.html )that you contact the frame with to lift or support a bike by the frame rails. I use this for my 750 Honda, and other things, but I would like to hear from others that use these lifts for the GL1800. I was cruising some forums, and saw a photo of a GL1800 sitting on the centerstand, with one of these lifts under the engine area, and the bike's whole front suspension was removed. I'm wondering if you need to remove all the cosmetic covers on the bottom of the bike before you can use this lift, and what is the lift making contact with under the bike? Do you need to make some kind of special blocks or anything like this? Is this stable enough to not worry about it slipping off or tipping?
Steve F

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Had one and used it on my 1100. I was careful and strapped it and all was tight. On slowly rotating it to get better light, I all but lost it as it slid almost off the rails. The far wheel hung on a bench but I never felt a thing. I was only looking for a potential tip over. It did not occur to me that as I SLOWLY turned the lift with the handle, the bike could slide so easily on those rubber rails. (actually, the lift was rotating and the bike became stationary)

Many use them, many like these. As I had the privilege of wrestling 600 lbs of bike back onto a rolling lift, I sold mine.

If you use it. put the lift under the bike and look for a spot where the lifts rest on the frame. Others here with 1800s can validate or give advice about how it mates. Some bikes do need some wood blocks to keep it level.

That said, I love my lift and others will say it is bad so check around decide what works for you. I bought the big one at harbor fht. I had to do a couple minor mods for what I wanted and to fit the wing kickstand but it has not failed yet.

Good luck

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
They're expensive, but we use Handy Industries pneumatic lifts in the shop. They come in a m/c specific model with front wheel clamps and are just great for working on your bike. But they have a hefty entry fee and you need a high volume compressor to operate them. They also are quite noisy when you release the pressure to lower them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts