Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 83 naked wing that I recently wrecked then blew the motor in. I just bought a 81 GL1100 to use for parts. Are the two years interchangeable?

·
Super Moderator
7,639 Posts
The bike on the trailer looks to be in nice shape, does it run?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike on the trailer looks to be in nice shape, does it run?
Motor Is seized, but I'm going to fully tear down both the yellow 83's motor and the blue 81's and then build a working bike out of the two of them, then three weeks from now im going to be buying another 83 GL1100 that runs and is fully dressed with extra parts from the same dude I just got the 81 off of earlier today which came with front fairing and one hardcase.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hey ElJef - We all wish you the best of luck in the successful completion of your GL1100 project. Building a GW from 2 or 3 donor bikes is very doable but - (just a suggestion) when it comes to the disassembly of several motors to try and assemble a good one may not be the way to go.

I don't know if you've ever split the block open of a boxer engine but there is a real art to inserting the pistons back into position as the two block halves are being seated. 1st the old block halves don't come apart easily and if not very careful can be damaged while being forced apart. For all the sealing areas with metal to metal contact, it is extremely important to have a spotlessly clean, flat surface with absolutely no remaining old sealant, grit or contamination for the new special sealant to set. Along with the problem of trying to "best match" an assortment of rod/piston weights and slightly worn pistons to the used bores of each block half while not breaking any pistons rings - it can be a real trick to keep from wiping off any sealant as you ease the case halves together. An oil leak along the engine center line will often not show itself until a hot engine is back in the frame and running (Don't Ask :) ).

If you consider the cost of an engine rebuild gasket set and the assortment of the new parts needed, plus the $1,000 you'll have in your labor - a good barn find engine will be the way to go. Just swap over a set of rebuilt carbs and head for the highway.......

Good Luck and Ride Safe - Michael

·
Super Moderator
11,599 Posts
That just aint right.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
I don't know if even JB Weld can plug that mouse hole.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hey ElJef - Mercy that is a serious hole in your engine case. To wind your bike up that tight you must still be young and indestructible. These 4 cylinder GW's can normally handle up to around the +7,500 rpm mark safely.

The only time I've had a rod come through the side of the engine like that was while riding a CX650 Turbo during the "Amateur Open Lap Days" at the original Second Creek Raceway out near the old Denver Airport. I haven't felt that young and indestructible in a very long time........:)

So ElJef, what are your plans at this point ?

Keep Us Posted and Ride Safe - Michael

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im in teardown right now. And yes I have shifted it at 9,000 before. Mind you I was running premium with 108 octane booster and fuel system cleaner. The 2 bolts that hold the piston to the crank came loose. Plans are as followed, completely tear down yellow naked wing including front forks, on the fence about sanding the frame down and repainting a color of my choice then I need to unseize the 81 wings motor and take everything off of the 81 and take all the pieces and make one running riding wing

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hey ElJef - What a great project - you are one very optimistically bold individual. Your photos bring back a lot of good memories. With the schools yet to be open this year, I'm surprised you don't have an audience of neighborhood kids standing around trying to see "what the heck is going on ".......:)

Best Of Luck - Michael

1 - 12 of 12 Posts