Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1800 Goldwing last week and this is the first bike that I have had that has a center stand. My question is should I leave the kick stand in the down position when putting the bike up on the center stand?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I do too. It gives it something to rest onto when removing it from the stand, if I'm not straddling it at the time.

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
Doesn't matter on the up side. Some , however , say to retract it before you push off on the center stand as it might catch on the down travel. I've dropped off the center stand with the kickstand down and I did not suffer any issues but I make it a habit ( 99% of the time ) of putting the kick stand up after I center stand it .

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I always put the kick stand down for that added security...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I always leave the kickstand down when putting the bike up on the center stand. Added safety if the bike falls while trying to get it up on the center stand. I always put the side stand up when coming off the center stand when I'm on the bike.

·
Registered
741 Posts
100% kickstand down. Even when I push the bike around I like to have the kickstand down just in case of the accidental loss of balance. It is always reassuring to know I can always drop it onto the kickstand if need be.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Congratulations on the new wing, keep it new, leave the kick stand down when on the center stand I am 6'3" 230 LBS and even I feel more confident when it is down. however I have yet to need it.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
My vote is down also, just to be safe.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Kickstand Up or Down

i always leave the kickstand down when putting the bike up on the center stand. Added safety if the bike falls while trying to get it up on the center stand. I always put the side stand up when coming off the center stand when i'm on the bike.
ditto:amen

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I always leave the kickstand down when putting the bike up on the center stand. Added safety if the bike falls while trying to get it up on the center stand. I always put the side stand up when coming off the center stand when I'm on the bike.
+1 for this one. It's what I do..:D

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
for some reason it seem to me that the side stan is in the way when i put any bike on the center stand so the side stand is most always up

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I find the sidestand gets in the way a bit when lifting the bike up onto the centre stand. I retract it for the trip down though, no reason really, I just do:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
i always keep it down , these are heavy machines always nice to have extra security

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I have a ride off stand on mine. Best thing since sliced bread. It makes putting the bike on the center stand so easy a cave man could do it. But....riding off the center stand you better have that kick stand up. Now the only way that could happen is if you rock the bike off the center stand and I have heard some say they do that. Bike should only run if your in neutral with the side stand down. But crap happens so I have it up when going on the center stand. While there I leave the kick stand down but starting the bike, I take the kick stand up and then drive off. The bike drops a long way when doing that and if the kick stand were down, you might be in a heap of trouble.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I put my side stand in the up position when I use the center stand. I find it gets in the way when I want to take it down and off the center stand. Good luck - only experience will show you the way you prefer. Also, good luck on your Wing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the side stand down when I put it ON the center stand, if you do it right, it isn't in the way...stand with your right side to the bike, right foot on the sidestand pad, and right hand on the passenger grab rail. then after rocking the bike slightly to confirm that you are on both center stand pads, push down with your foot while pulling up with your hand. Anyone can get the Wing (or any other bike) on a center stand this way.

Going DOWN, I always put the side stand up. For one good reason, I left it down one time and it came down on my foot! OUCH!

I take the bike off the center stand while standing next to it. Both hands on the bars, and push. I have control, and with my right hand on the brake I can stop the bike immediately. Then I put down the side stand.

When rolling the bike around, I put up the sidestand. I have to go over a ledge about 2" tall when going out of my garage, and the stand could hit on the edge and push the bike over to the right.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts