Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings and Happy New Year.
My 1983 Wing has been be garaged for the winter. I have decided, now that mechanically it is sound, to make it nice to look at. I have purchased a parts bike of the same year and will be putting chrome pipes and hopefully a new paint job on the bags and faring.

That said, i wanted to keep the gauges between the speakers up front but wanted to look into a upgraded radio or audio system that would fit down on the left have panel. Does anyone know if there is a new or upgraded system that fits down on the side?

I will be going LED for all of the lights except the headlamp.

I also have to replace the air shocks since they only hold air for a few hours. It looks like this is a $400.00 endeavor. Anyone know of anything cheaper?

Thanks for any help,

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd kit the air shocks. New seals are only around $40 and you can get progressive springs to put inside for another $60. For about $110 including supplies and fluid, you are done in about three to four hours. It took me longer to design/build the compression tool than to rebuild the shocks.

But I have to say, it is the best modification I've made to the bike. No air loss and no bottoming out even riding two up with trailer.

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
I put Progressive springs in the forks of my 1200 and would have done the same if the back shocks had gone out but they never did. Are you doing the paintwork yourself?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as to the paint job...i thought i would pull the old parts off, sand and prep them and have someone else shoot it...

i have to be honest, the thought of rebuilding these shocks doesn't sound fun to me at all. however, if it really is going to cost me 400 dollars...well, all things in life don't have to be fun....:)

i looked at the pregressive website and maybe i saw it wrong but it looked like i could get them cheaper then i thought if i went back to factory specs. However, they sale a HD shock that might be better for me.

any thoughts on that?

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
Contact them and give them your riding habits and see what they suggest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts