Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!!

So I installed the handlebar risers, not the helibar but the simple spacer and it does help. Also lowered the highway pegs and that helps too. It does decrease lean angle on slow turns. Now I am just waiting for a taller seat to come in.

As per recommendation of the good folks here, I have been rev-ing the biker higher and all of a sudden the bike is alive and happy!!!! It still handles great and is very comfortable but now its also responsive.

Overall I love this bike!! Also really appreciate this forum and you guys. Seriously you guys are awesome and very helpful.

My next task with the bike will be to replace the air/oil filter, steering and wheel bearing, sparkplugs, oil and coolant, maybe brake pads not sure. I know that's lot but I bought the bike used and I think it needs it. The last owner was awesome and kept it in great shape. It is however 15 years old and has 85k on the odometer.

Will update you guys!! Have a great weekend and enjoy the awesome bike!!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Gotta love success! Glad to hear things are headed in the right direction!

I'm sure you already know, but just a mention anyway so I can sleep at night - regarding lowering the highway pegs. You mention losing lean angle, but if they're too low and are the first hard part to touch down when you get leaned way over you can cause the front of the bike to lift and lose front traction. My understanding is that the arms shouldn't be lower than horizontal - but someone else can correct me if that's wrong. Personally, I took off my rigid Kuryakyn highway pegs and installed the spring loaded Mic-o-pegs, but Kuryakyn does have a spring loaded version of their arms now. I've never seen them though. Anyway, like I said - you're probably already aware but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The rule is that the highway pegs should not be what hits the ground first.

Slide a sheet of plywood on the floor until it's touching both tires, then start picking up the far edge so it forms an angle with the bike, that's your "lean angle". If the plywood hits the highway peg before it hits the footpeg or crash bars, they're too low.

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
Be a little careful with the spring loaded highway pegs. If your feet are on them during a tight turn they can shed a lot of fancy metal really fast, or so I have heard. 👼

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotta love success! Glad to hear things are headed in the right direction!

I'm sure you already know, but just a mention anyway so I can sleep at night - regarding lowering the highway pegs. You mention losing lean angle, but if they're too low and are the first hard part to touch down when you get leaned way over you can cause the front of the bike to lift and lose front traction. My understanding is that the arms shouldn't be lower than horizontal - but someone else can correct me if that's wrong. Personally, I took off my rigid Kuryakyn highway pegs and installed the spring loaded Mic-o-pegs, but Kuryakyn does have a spring loaded version of their arms now. I've never seen them though. Anyway, like I said - you're probably already aware but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
OK!! I did not know this and was not aware of the potential hazard. THANK YOU SO MUCH!! For sharing this I will look into it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rule is that the highway pegs should not be what hits the ground first.

Slide a sheet of plywood on the floor until it's touching both tires, then start picking up the far edge so it forms an angle with the bike, that's your "lean angle". If the plywood hits the highway peg before it hits the footpeg or crash bars, they're too low.
I had not idea, but I will get something this weekend and look into it. I thought I was making it more comfortable. When I open the pegs it had multiple angles for fitment so I though those were the options. Thanks I will fix it soon.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Be a little careful with the spring loaded highway pegs. If your feet are on them during a tight turn they can shed a lot of fancy metal really fast, or so I have heard. 👼
Oh yeah, I can attest to that. Often my heel touches before the peg itself. Gives me that little shot of adreniline to keep me alert afterwards :).

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah, I can attest to that. Often my heel touches before the peg itself. Gives me that little shot of adreniline to keep me alert afterwards :).
Haha yeah me too, since I lowered them my heels also drag. It defiantly wakes you up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts