Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updated with a more comprehensive key and some clarifications

2021+ will have different trunk fastners. Everything else is likely the same.

Picture of my styrofoam bolt, pin, and screw boards.
This one is marked up for easier viewing.

Not 100% comprehensive but getting pretty close.

Using the parts diagrams to determine which goes where. There is a lot more going on than just "short and long bolts"
Some of the "long bolts" are very similar in length - 5x 14 and 5 x 15 - but are different. I'm choosing not to mix them.

Bike seems to be happier when the right size and type of fastener is the proper place
Product Rectangle Handwriting Organism Font

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nice work. I was too lazy to do something like that so I purchased Cruiseman's Garage maintenance videos to help out and they are very informative. Installed my wife's obsolete all-in-one computer in the garage to watch those videos and other videos when doing work on any three of my motorcycles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
I too have Cruiseman and Fred Harmon's videos. Glad they work for you.

As good as they are, and they are good, they don't mention that there are two different lengths of "long" bolts (technically a screw) and two different lengths of "silver" bolts in use on the deflectors, cowls, and shelters nor address where each different type goes. And there are two different types of 5x14mm bolts with different shoulder lengths. Don't mix the ones from the front with the ones from the back.

Trying to remember all the details of where all the fastners go and which fastner went where was a challenge for me. My goal in making my styroboards (and later the diagram to share here) was to 1) speed up the reassembly process by a) not having to try to remember where each fastner went and b) quality assurance check to make sure I had all the fasteners installed instead of having "left overs" as well as 2) reducing the possibilty of problems caused by putting the wrong sized fastener in the wrong place.

As I disassemble, I put the fastner in it's spot in the styroboard. During reassembly, all I have to do is pull the fastener out of the styroboard (or glance at a printed copy of the diagram) to know what fastner to use and where to put it.

Since I help others with their installs and maintenance, I use this routinely. Saves tons of time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts