Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Just like I shared the bad news of the Thursday evening accident with y'all, I would now like to share the good news. My friend has improved to the point where he may be released from the hospital today. He will probably have to go back and have some reconstructive surgery done around his right eye where he has several fractures. He is banged up on the inside and has trouble breathing but the doc says that time will heal that. Lots of road rash and his right eye is still swollen shut. I talked to the paramedics that had picked him up after the accident. All three told me that based on their experience, they gave him about a 25% chance of living on the way to the hospital that evening. What a turn around ! It's just a miracle that he has recovered so quickly from this. He is a very big guy, probably around 335-350 and was on a big bike. He was riding a HD Electra Glide. The impact knocked the half ton pickup appx 17 feet. That was about 8 feet of blacktop and the rest gravel. All that was just to give y'all an idea of how serious this was. His only concern through this whole ordeal has been about his bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. We had a wrecker come and unload his bike today at his house. One of our riders had his son bring a truck the evening of the accident and we loaded it up. He hobbled out there and finally got to see his beloved Harley this evening. Not sure if it's fixable or not. Guess the insurance company will decided that pretty soon. It's just fitting that this turned out like it did for this guy because he lost his two grand babies in a house fire in 2001. After that happened, he started a crusade to raise money for St. Jude. He started a car and bike show and several other things and has raised several thousand dollars for them. I know after he had raised over $100,000 dollars, a plaque was put on the wall at the St. Jude hospital with his grandchildren's name on it. This guy is kinda special and loved by everyone. So again, a fitting ending to what could have been another tragedy for their family !

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Great news! Now'd be a good opportunity to convert him to a Gold Wing Airbag. :D Give him our best from GWOF!
glad he's improving

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good news RI. Did anyone talk to the truck driver to find out what went on in their head? I am always curious as to why people do some of the things they do that seem so bizarre.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
That is fantastic news RI! Bikes can be replaced, fixed, whatever. Tell your bud to keep a positive outlook, we're all pulling for him.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news RI. Did anyone talk to the truck driver to find out what went on in their head? I am always curious as to why people do some of the things they do that seem so bizarre.[/QUO

Me and two others where trying to hold my friend still to keep from further hurting himself after he came to so I didn't get a chance to talk to them. But from what I was told, it was a young girl that was learning to drive and had a guy teaching her that probably hasn't had his license over a year or two. This is a major state highway. For Gods sake, teach people to drive on a back road people ! We haven't got the police report back yet and don't even know if they had insurance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I dont know what it is like where you are but up here I find there is a big problem with people, particularly young girls talking or texting on cell phones while driving.
I dont know what we can do about that, it's hard to police.

·
Registered
154 Posts
GREAT NEWS RI!!!!

Snuffy - I agree, too many people think driving and using their cell to text or talk is common practice and not hazardous at all. It is outlawed here in NY, but the police do not enforce it.

Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts