Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I (and our wives) are planning to trailer our Wings to the San Antonio, Texas, area at the end of February or early March of 2012. We are looking for suggestions as to where to ride and things and places to see. We even thought about going down to the Gulf of Mexico. We really don't have any kind of agenda but will only be down there a week or so. Any suggestions by members here would be great. Thanks!

Jeff in South Dakota

·
Registered
91 Posts
You gotta ride the Texas Hill Country. Do the 3 Sisters ride (Hwy 335,336,337). Through Leakey, Utopia, Campwood, Medina, Garner State Park, Lost Maples State park.
From Kerrville take 39 along the river to Leakey. Gotta do Lukenbach & Fredricksburg & Enchanted Rock. BBQ at Coopers in Llano. PM me when you come maybe I can show you some rides.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Snoopy pretty much summed up the best riding in Texas right there. Got an itch for the beach might as well drop down to Port Aransas for a little day trip.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Jeff,

Where are you from in South Dakota? I am a graduate of SDSU and was born in Brookings. My brother is a Farmers Agent and his wife teaches school in Sioux Falls.

·
Registered
691 Posts
You are going to love it. Go to Bandera for breakfast at The Old Spanish Trail. We lived there for a year.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Be sure and bring along layers of clothing--it can still get pretty chilly in late February & early March in the Hill Country.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
As far as places to see, if you have an interest in history, the Mission Trail is high on my list.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Larry in Seattle--I am in Aberdeen, SD, tranplanted here from Minnesota in 1989. Wife is from Herreid and she has family in Chamberlain and Ipswich.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Larry in Seattle--I am in Aberdeen, SD, tranplanted here from Minnesota in 1989. Wife is from Herreid and she has family in Chamberlain and Ipswich.
I rode my bike to Aberdeen for a wedding in July of last year. The wind was blowing steady at 50 mph out of the south with gusts even more. When I stopped to pee along side of Highway 212, I peed all the way across the 4 lanes of highway and into Canada.

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Just came back from Texas and here is a web site with lots of information.
http://www.txhillcountrytrail.com/index.aspx?page=4
You can click on the map and it has ideas for every area. I really liked the Davis Mountains area. Highway 118 is really interesting with McDonald Observatory and Fort Davis as highlights. It goes down to Big Bend but I didn't make it down that far.

Be sure to check out the county courthouses when you go through a town. Texas has some of the most interesting ones I have ever seen. It's like they were in a competition.

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
This is where some of the worst fires were recently. Not sure the scenery will be any good for a couple of years.
While the fire (one big one for 314,444 acres) was bad for people and their use of the land, Mother Nature takes care of herself. Once it rains you will hardly know that there was a fire. Fire is a natural part of most ecosystems in this country. The scenery will be just as good. I hope they get some rain soon so the grass will grow back for the ranchers. Go visit, they need the tourist to not avoid the area.

Some examples:
Solomon Canyon, we stopped the Rock House Fire in this canyon up to the ridge I'm on into Selmen Canyon behind me. The fire burned the right side. Some difference now, but will be hard to see once it rains.
Mike, one of the local ranchers, real cowboys, nothing fake about these guys.
Fort Davis Courthouse - you could make a trip just seeing the courthouses in Texas.
Fort Davis National Historic Site with the town of Fort Davis in the background. Lots of history to see in Texas.
You never know whay you will see, maybe even take the ride of your life. (This is in Marfa, TX)

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Snoopy planned your trip for ya, right there. :D

As far as places to stay....

http://www.koyoteranch.com/

Have not stayed there myself yet, but I've seen the place.. And it's on our bucket list of places to stay.

My folks are in Bulverde so we have a base of operations fairly close when we're down there.

Good luck on your trip and Welcome to Texas!

·
Registered
3 Posts
More riding advice for the Great State of TX.

Here is another great reference for riding in the hill country.

http://www.ridetexas.com/

Look at the best of list.. worth buying a copy to get the details.

Most of the items on the top 10 are in the area bordered by Austin/San Antonio/Uvalde/Junction / Llano.

The three sisters ride is a MUST DO... Also hit the rides around Hunt, Kerrville, Bandera, Luckenbach, Wimberley and Dripping Springs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my post. We will be getting together with our friends (and a good map!) to plan things out soon. It sounds like a great place to ride and we are looking forward to our trip.

Jeff in South Dakota

1 - 15 of 15 Posts