Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2,800 miles on the wing towing a trailer with my son. Starting in Arizona to Oxnard, Ca, up to Coos Bay, Or.

There were some tough winds, with 45 mph gusts at times. I had thought I would always like to ride a bike across the Golden Gate. That wind continued all the way up the coast, in particular when we were exposed to the ocean. Temps in the 50's 60's along the coast.

The Gold Wing performed better than the driver. I added oil half way on the trip. The oil was so clear I thought I misread it. The bike used nothing, despite one solid load.

During the trip, a jet boat ride up the Rogue river in Oregon, a float plane ride in Coos Bay. 4 days of house hunting when my wife flew up to Portland. Then the trip back, taking in Crater lake.

The cool weather was balanced with very hot weather of 104 to 109 degrees pretty much all the way back on I-5. I got fed up with cagers passing and caught a group of sports cars and tailed them for miles, with cruise set close to three digits. Foolish, I suppose, but the Wing and trailer rode like rails when out of gusting winds. The Goldwing is the diesel pickup of bikes for towing. It never ran out of torque or power no matter how much I lugged it down or how steep a grade.

We enjoyed our new headsets. The cordura chaps from Colorado chaps made the ride a good bit safer. They were comfortable and easy to put on, and kept legs comfortable in the cold.

First trip with the trailer. More to come. Basic and inexpensive but tows solid. It never once swayed or gave any indication it was not tracking perfectly behind the bike. Despite bad roads in California, the torsion bars on the trailer performed. No tire hop on potholes and never felt unsettled.

For us cheapo types, my new Android phone hooked to the AUX input provided directions continually. No on board navigation. I never really thought I would want navigation, but was handy escaping San Francisco, after getting lost missing the turn for the 101.

My son: "Wow. Look at that lady in the red sequin dress all sparkly!"

Me: "Ummm....I think that is not a woman..." "Maybe a male transvestite / etc."

"What is that?"

"A guy that rides a motorcycle in a dress"

"Where is his bike?"

"Probably left it at home."

"Oh"

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Heheheh! Hey Dart. Rapier just returned from a ride up on Oregon last week. The only nemesis he spoke of were the winds and the bugs. Even Eden had a flaw. Welcome back to the Valley of the Sun. Where are the pictures ? I'll check the " Recent Rides and Adventure " section. I'm sure they are there.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Add the construction projects on 101 to that list. Four or five of them between the state line and Coos Bay. And the bugs were thick on us right about sunset. He may have been there early in the day when they most likely weren't as much of a gross-out issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts