Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just bought a 1990 1500 SE. So far, happy with the bike. She seems a little cold blooded, but once the engine is warm, the bike runs like a champ. My question is this. Do you ride your Goldwing exclusively? Or, do you have a smaller bike for commuting and riding around town, and use the Wing for longer "road trips"? Just curious...thanks in advance. Also, let me apologize in advance. I am new to the Goldwing world, so I may have a lot of questions. But, I also hope to contribute to the forum as well. Rick

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
I only have a goldwing to ride.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My previous 97 Valkyrie had the 1500 engine. I'd imagine that it's very similar to yours. She was also a bit,, "stiff", when first started, especially in the cooler weather. You have to remember that these are carburetor engines and that's just the nature of the beast, lol. It's really not a negative aspect, just something that you have to get use to.

My present wing is my only bike (or maybe I should say, trike, lol). These Goldwings are capable of any kind of commuting. Wether it's local 'stop & shop', commuting to work or the long touring trips, the Wings are at home in any and all types of uses. Of course, this is MHO. :)

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
I have a 1300 VTX that sits in my shed. I rode it once this summer.

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Ahh quack, some of us here do have multiple rides. At present when my wife was unable to ride any longer we sold our Wing & right now I have my Nighthawk only. However when she was riding we had the 2 bikes just for that reason. I only have a 5 mile commute to work & just to drag the Wing out for that was more trouble sometimes than it was worth. Also when you're finished with your chores on a Sat afternoon & you want to take a quick ride.

I will say this although I'm certainly not ready to make an Iron Butt run anytime soon I can log many miles on the Nighthawk as some of my Wing companions can attest.:cool:;)

·
Administrator
15,290 Posts
I do have two bikes. I use the wing a lot to commute to work starting this time of year as I ride to work in the dark. It is a lot more visible, especially the rear lights. My Yamaha has only one little light on the back and I worry about early morning commuters not being alert enough to see me. But I do love both my bikes. When I got the Goldwing the Yamaha was paid for so I didn’t see a reason to sell it. It is good to have a backup bike.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I have two Goldwings (a 97 1500 & a 2005 1800). I ride them as often as I can and we do make shopping runs with them. We hook up the trailer and head out shopping. As long as it will fit in the trunk, saddle bags or the trailer we have no problem.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
The lion's share of my riding is on the Wing, but I do enjoy riding my '03 RC51 when the spirit moves me:D:cool: but the Wing is and will always be my main squeeze;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Only one wing only bike I own, Bought new in August of 1993.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Had a Yamaha v-Star 1300 , after I bought the wing it just sat so I sold it

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just the wing. But, I do want a second bike that is a lot narrower and lighter for shorter rides. I almost bought a V-Strom DL1000 recently. I may end up with a Harley Sportster in a trade for a boat that I am selling. I love the wing, but do lust after another flavor, or two.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I am very Monogamous when it comes to the Wing and the Wife:D

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I ride the 1500 and have a 1200 that just sits.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
I have only the wing and proud to have that. When our nest became empty, my wife informed me that we needed a hobby. I suggested motorcycle riding; she said I was crazy. But long story short, she agreed to buying a used 1983 Wing in 1996 to "see if she liked" motorcycle riding. She did and now we ride. We traded the '83 in 1997 for a new Goldwing, which we sold after we bought the 2010 last November. She has even suggested that when and if I can no longer hold this one up that we get a Can-Am; I think she's hooked.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
I have my Goldwing and only that, Now my son has his 650 V Star in my garage and I do have a key, and when the wife jets her next bike I hope next spring I will ride it when she will let me. I can live with just my wing and have done just that for years but it is nice some times to get on something a bit little and zip it up.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I had a suzuki Volusia 2003 before I bought the 1500 Wing. I was determined to keep the Suzuki for around town riding and use the Wing for long trips and when my wife wanted to ride along but as time went on I found myself riding the Suzuki less and less. My daughter and son in law started trying to convince me to sell them the Suzuki because all it ever did was sit in the garage so I eventually broke down and sold it to them......don't miss it, use the Wing exclusively now.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I ride a Burgman 650 scooter around town quite a bit and it's a pleasure to ride.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
I have a 1995 Goldwing in America
A 1200 1984 Goldwing in Australia.
A 700 Honda Sabre 1985.
A CB250RS Honda 1980.
A CB 100 Honda 1972
A CL 125 Honda 1967. Eric

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
I've got the trike only and it is my first choice for wherver I'm going provided the roads are dry. I know, Lee, I'm a wimp.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.