Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been covered several times, so please forgive me. However, I've read through several posts, yet I'm still unclear on which model and/or year has the stator problem.

I'm anticipating purchasing a '83 GL1100 or '88 GL1500. Do either have a problem with stator? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
683 Posts
... Howdy ... I'm Not Sure About The 83-1100 Or The 88-1500 Have Stator Issues ... But The 85-1200 Ltd Was The First Motor They Put The Larger Stator In ... Also The 84-1200 Starters Are A Problem The Motor Has To Be Pulled And Split To Replace It ... Happy Trails ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... Howdy ... I'm Not Sure About The 83-1100 Or The 88-1500 Have Stator Issues ... But The 85-1200 Ltd Was The First Motor They Put The Larger Stator In ... Also The 84-1200 Starters Are A Problem The Motor Has To Be Pulled And Split To Replace It ... Happy Trails ...
Thanks for your response. So basically I should avoid '84 models unless the stator has been replaced? I'm seriously leaning towards the '83 GL1100.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Some 1100 also had stator problems but not as bad as the 1200's. Go for the 1500 Gold Wing, no more stator, they have an alternator and you can replace the brushes in them or put in a comp-u-fire alternator and solve all your problems.

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
hey ronzilla the stator on all wings from '75 to '87 are on the left rear of the engine and the motor does not need to be split to remove the stator. the ltd and se-i have higher output stators than the carburetted models of the same year

·
Registered
683 Posts
hey ronzilla the stator on all wings from '75 to '87 are on the left rear of the engine and the motor does not need to be split to remove the stator. the ltd and se-i have higher output stators than the carburetted models of the same year
... HOWDY ... WILIAM I WAS COMMENTING ABOUT THE - STARTER - ON THE 84 WING ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Banned
3 Posts
I've never replaced a starter in an 84 myself but I have read that it can be done without removing the engine.

The basic idea is that the bike is leaned to the left to keep the chain hanging in a positon where the starter gear can be engaged.

·
Registered
683 Posts
... Howdy Don ... When I Replaced The Starter On My 85 It Was Done On The Sidestand < Make Sure You Don't Move The Bike > Or The Chain Will Fall Inside ... I Have A Motorcycle Mechanic Friend Try To Do A 84 Starter On The Sidestand ... Didn't Work ... Ended Up Pulling The Motor ... Happy Trails ...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ok, all this stator talk has me thirsty...I need a beer! After a little digging; I found out the SE & LTD have a higher capacity; The standard stator puts out 360W the other one puts out 476W, that's a good bit better.
So, now I would like to know...are the two stators compatable....by that I mean do they fit all 1200's? What, if any are the differences?
If they fit the same, WHY wouldn't one replace a stator with the highest capacity?
I can see by surfing they are more expensive.but, not by a whole lot..so if one HAD to replace anyway....why not use the "bigger" one?
Just curious???

·
Registered
123 Posts
Am I the only one confused by this thread? The original question was about the stator, not the starter.
And Blade, you're absolutely correct. No sense putting the original OEM stator back in, get one with a higher output. Less chance of having to do it again someday...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Stator?

Well, yes and no! Having a higher capacity will be great for more accessories..however, you still need to address the melting plug issues. With the higher output stator....the problem will only come sooner! IMHO...:)
See threads on other boards about removing the stator plug and soldering the wires directly.That should cure the problems.
Also, see the thread on a "kit" that has heavier wire and a relay that separates the ignition coils so they run right off the battery..not from the regulator/rectifier....This makes a lot of sense to me. I'm waiting on my kit now.....:D
Hope this helps to get you on the road and stay there...:cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stator Warranty

Well the design of the stator from 75-87 is a poor design and the motor has to be removed to be replaced. The dealer get 11 hours of labor to replace the stator. Ok that is the bad news, here is the good news, if you have a honda motorcycle dealer do the job and you purchase the stator from the dealer you have a life time warranty as long as you own the bike. This warranty is paid by Honda America to the local dealers. The labor is also covered under this warranty as well. Don't let them tell you other wise
I contacted Stu Oltman of Wing World's Work Bench and in Feb 2009 on page 35 he wrote to me with this information. For those who are not a member of the GWRRA the Honda TSB GL1200 #16 revised 2/90 addresses the stator issue. Now many dealer don't even know this exist. My dealer did not have a clue and he did not believe me so I had to bring the issue of the magazine in so he could read it.
The reason I tell you all this is because this job is very expensive, so don't let them pull one on you if the stator should fail again.

Good luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an 85 ltd that has been hardwired at all the plugs except the regulator plug. It now has a tad over 50 000 on it and no problems, BUT, my friend has an 84 that the stator went out on and we did the alternator conversion on it. After seeing how that went if my stator were to go out, and eventually it will because I put a lot of mile on a bike a year so it has to wear out sometime, I will go with the alternator conversion. Easier cheaper and more output plus tons easier to replace if it does go. Be safe ghost

1 - 14 of 14 Posts