Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to upgrade to a touring bike. I presently own a Honda VTX1800. I'm wondering how many of you (if any) might have moved from a Harley Ultra Classic to a Goldwing, and why? I rode my uncle's 2010 Ultra a couple of weeks ago, and WOW:eek, what a smooth riding machine!! I haven't ridden a Wing yet.
I've heard pros and cons for both bikes from a limited amount of people, and figured I might get more info here, to help me make up my mind. Thanks, Bulldogparts.

p.s. Please try to keep it civil.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I've owned a Harley Electra Glide Classic, they bike does vibrate, it is hot especially when you have to sit almost on top of the engine. The Goldwing is like 'velvet' it's quiet, it's comfortable and it doesn't burn you because the engine is at your feet.
You're right about keeping it civil on another forum its an on going topic of Harley bashing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Apples to Apples

I own a 1991 Ultra and now I am the proud owner of a 94 SE with 11.000 on the clock and both are the same yet as diffrent as can be...If its Saturday night and we are going to dinner the Ultra is a blast its a fun ride and responsive in its own way and can feel like a extention of your own body sort of like you are one with the bike....The Wing is more like you are the captain of a Starship crack the whip and you have 100 hp at your beck and call but oh so refined at the same time .....its up to you to

·
Registered
198 Posts
I own a 01E-Glide with 102,000 miles on it. It's been the best bike I have ever owned. I took a new one with 50 miles on it for a test ride and found it uncomfortable with the stock seat. On my bike from the first day I hated the suspension and the new one has the same. New frame but same suspension. I liked the tranny and the engine was smooth but then again 102,000 on mine and anything will be smoother. I just can't bring myself to lay down that much money for not much of a upgrade so I will buy a Wing next year when I'm in a better position. I want to tour the country in style and comfort. If my Harley friends don't ride with me I'll have a nice quiet ride.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2004 Road Glide with 50,00 wonderful miles on it. Just recently purchased a wing. As the other posts have mentioned both are excellent bikes in their own ways.
The bottom line IMHO is the gold wing feels and handles better, no vibration compared to the harley, cooler (temps) , rapid power and OH so QUIET! I will be keeping the road glide for now- but the more I ride the wing the happier I am with it especially if you ride two up. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
07 FLHTCU to 08 Gold Wing

Previously I owned an 07 Ultra Classic. It performed well with one exception, and that was the severe heat that was felt from the engine. I left it stock, and rode it for 16,000 miles. Many say that with an aftermarket fuel managment system, pipes and proper tune, the heat can be reduced.

Recently, I took a 2010 Ultra for a test ride. Compared to the 07' the handling, braking, and power were like night and day. I swear the Ultra handles and brakes as well as the Wing. It's down on power compared to the Wing, but it has more than enough. I felt less wind around the helmet on the Ultra, more on the Wing. The gearing,frame and brake (Brembo) upgrades that HD performed in 09 are terrific. The 6th gear on the Harley is nice. I feel HD targeted the Wing for it's handling characteristic's. Kuddo's to HD for many of the design upgrades that the current models possess. That said, in my opinion it still throws killer heat. I can't live with that. Given the choice, my wife jumped on the Gold Wing.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Not going to slag the Ultra, but it is in most ride related comparisons inferior to the Wing. The only Ultra that comes close in performance areas is the CVO, and it comes up short. I think the Ultra handles a bit better at 'ultra' (sorry for the pun) slow speeds and has a bit nicer ride around town (30 mph or less) and a tad more foot /leg room, but that's where it ends. Power, sophistication, build quality, road manners and overall capability the Wing outshines every full dress tourer made today. The BMW LT is/was very close, but factor in the cost of it's related maintenance fees and the GL still wins there too.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Check out my posting on 'Handling the wing'. The Ultra is a nice touring bike, but if you ask me, if your are going to rack up some serious mileage touring, you can't beat the Wing. I know of many people putting well over 100,000 miles with out any major work being performed to the bike. 93,000 miles on my '93 with just oil changes, brakes and tires and a few small items. It's a fine feeling knowing that if you set out on a 1,000 mile weekend trip, that you can feel secure that fasteners won't loose up and mounting tabs break off. Hardly ever had a hiccup with the engine in the 75,000 miles I've owned it.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
hi bull
I would like to hear what you have to say after you ride a 100 miler on an 1800 wing. Wings are electric motor smooth. I knew one harley rider that bought a new wing and within 6 months went back to his harley. What charms he found with harley I dont know but evidently that is what worked for him. The wing wobble was one factor that soured him.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Bulldog,
Ihad a 1995 Ultra for 6 yrs. put about 25k miles on it and loved every one of them. Bought a 2005 Wing. It handles better , more power and QUITTER. I almost sold 3 yrs ago to get another Harley. I rode a friends 2007 Ultra. It didn't have much power. Then rode a 2009 Ultra with the 103 C.I. kit. What a difference. Handled very well , lots of power, still very noisy. I miss the leg room on the Harley. When you ride a Harley there is just something about it that makes you feel good. maybe the rebel in you or something. Like Harley says , "if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand anyway." After all said and done, I wouldn't trade the Wing for anything. I now have 40k miles on it and not a problem. If I had the $$$ I'd also have a Harley.

·
Registered
466 Posts
IMO you are comparing apples to oranges. I owned an Ultra Classic about 5 years ago. I bought it as an investment from a friend and ultimately waited till he got on his feet and sold it back to him for what I paid.

I have also owned a Heritage Classic, Dyna wide glide and 1200 Sportster.

Now don't get me wrong here. Harleys are just bad arse to look at and to ride. There is no other bike in the world other than a custom built machine that can provide the enjoyment of a Harley.

But that is as far as a Harley will take you. I bought my 08' Goldwing for a purpose. I wanted a machine that had Power, Comfort and Dependability.

I would never attempt a trip more than a couple hundred miles on a Harley. And I learned that if you plan to ride it daily, you better not drive in traffic. They are HOT and they WILL overheat easily unless you spend a lot of $$ in tunes, pipes, ect. You can get them to run cooler but they will still overheat in Texas traffic. And unless you fork over some serious $$ for the 101ci engine, they just do not have the power to pull hills or 2 up with a trailer as easily as the Wing does.

All this being said, I love my wing!
BUT, I do plan to buy another Ultra Classic for weekends and local runs around the Casa! Like I said, you just can't beat the feeling of a loud rumbling Harley. They are a joy to ride and it just brings on a whole new persona when you ride it.

But for serious touring and 2up, it's the Wing that we will be riding. Smooth as butter, more power than you'll ever need, comfortable as all get out, great fuel mileage and piece of mind knowing you can ride a couple thousand miles with no fear of breaking down.

So I say, do what I am doing and own BOTH OF THEM!!

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I'm wanting to upgrade to a touring bike. I presently own a Honda VTX1800. I'm wondering how many of you (if any) might have moved from a Harley Ultra Classic to a Goldwing, and why? I rode my uncle's 2010 Ultra a couple of weeks ago, and WOW:eek, what a smooth riding machine!! I haven't ridden a Wing yet.
I've heard pros and cons for both bikes from a limited amount of people, and figured I might get more info here, to help me make up my mind. Thanks, Bulldogparts.

p.s. Please try to keep it civil.
We can't sell you on a bike, but we can offer you a choice: Harley Owners Group or golwingowners com/forum. Check out both and decide on the kind of ride and riders you are comfortable with. This is not an " either or " proposition; it's a 250 mile day ride vs. a 450 mile day ride group. Each is valid.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Well stated Buzzy. When I go to Florida, I rent a Harley for a day and it takes me 2 days to get the smile off my face.:) I love my Wing and would never consider another "hauler", but for the instant smile.....
IMHO Strat

·
Registered
4 Posts
New guy here, own both a '09 Ultra classic w/103ci engine and reverse, mounted a Hannigan 2+2 sidecar 10,000 miles ago w/a car tire rear wheel. Great ride, legs don't get cramped, solid handling on the Dragon and in the mountains, done 2400 miles w/o more than a short nap and could still walk, no leg cramps, etc. Just bought a '08 wing a month ago(had a CB750 back in the early 70's) Great ride also just different from the H-D, do get some leg cramps so I need to raise the seat/lower the pegs. All in all I would say you can't go wrong with either one, best option is to have one of both!!..George

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
DocWobblin, welcome to the forum from Pa. Congrats on your new Wing. Where is home for you? Ride safe and enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Currently live in Wilmington, NC. Trying to get wife decide that we need to go full time in the motorhome..I'm 63, on disability and enjoying life to the fullest....ride,eat,sleep and ride some more. Nam Vet 70/71..glorious time in IV corps..all over the delta.

Spent some time in early 70's in Philly area for professional school(PA.College of Optometry), used to go up in NE Pa backpacking, canoing, fishing etc.

Let my wife try out a trike today..she still wants a sidecar on her H-D.
I even offered to put one on the wing for her...no go. Ya'll ride safe now y'hear....George

·
Registered
157 Posts
Although both bike are touring bikes they are apples and oranges.
I presently own a 2010 GW and a 07 Ultra classic. I have set the Ultra up to fit me. Working on making changes on the GW.
I have put 41,000 on the Ultra in 3 years with only 8,800 on the GW.
I really enjoy both bikes but for different reasons.
The sitting position of the Ultra will be hard to match it's that comfortable.
I have done a lot to the Ultra to control the heat. I see very little difference in the heat from either bike. The heat has different sources thats all.
I suggest you rent a GW for at the minimum of 1 full day to give it a fair try.
I would not be afraid to ride from coast to coast on either bike.
On the Ultra you sit in the seat but with the GW you sit on the seat.
I have ordered the new Kuryakyn seat made by Mustang Hope this make momma happy.
She prefers the Ultra.
just a thought
dd

·
Registered
263 Posts
Honest Question

A Harley rider recently told me that the only downfall about Harley's is that they all need engine work after about forty thousand miles. Is that right? Or is it just him - maybe he's just too hard on his bike.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I ride to fast, too often and too far to ride a Harley.

Once you ride a wing you will never want to ride another bike. It has power, tons of standard equipments and it looks and feel so good going down the road.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
A Harley rider recently told me that the only downfall about Harley's is that they all need engine work after about forty thousand miles. Is that right? Or is it just him - maybe he's just too hard on his bike.
Not all. Some do and it has a lot to do with how the bike is ridden. The cam chain tensioner pads seem to be the items that need to be checked. Mine required replacement @ 47K. Some claim 100K w/no problems.
Much the same as Honda recommending a valve check on Wings @ 32,000. I consider that engine work also.

I liked the seating position of my Ultras better than the Wing.
I did not like the heat off the motor on my legs.
The difference in power was a non-issue as I'm not a "racer"
Vibration at idle-yes, quit as soon as I started moving.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts