Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy my first Wing, I've been checking out the classifieds here in the UK, looking at 1500's and I've noticed that some have the rear number plate sitting flush with the bodywork, just under the trunk, whilst others have a bracket that holds the number plate lower and at an angle away from the bodywork. I don't like the look of the latter, I think it detracts from the otherwise smooth and tidy appearance of the rear end but don't want this to stop me from buying a good bike, especially if there is a simple way to fit the number plate neat and flush under the trunk.

Can anybody explain the reason for the difference please?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
First, let me say welcome to the site RustyWing. I think part of the problem is that there are so many different sizes of number plates worldwide that it's hard to make a mount that works well for everyone. OUr Alberta plates are different than most other provinces, and all our Cdn plates are different than the USA:confused: Not sure about bikes in the UK, but there's differences in autos and again differences in certain continental Euoprean countries. One thing about your tags though, at least once you understand the lettering, you can pretty much tell where somebody's from in the UK by their plate. Similar to over here, but much more definite than just our provinces and states. For what it's worth, I share your pain. I'd love to have a decent mount for my plate, but it's such a stupid size that nobody has one that works well.:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome!

I guess I'll have to go and look at a couple of bikes and suss out the difference. I've found a lovely late model SE with low miles in candy red, unfortunately with the plate mount I don't like. There's got to be a way of mounting it the same as the other UK bikes, all our plates are the same size.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Hope you find a wing you like.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Look at it this way, while you are ridding you will hopefully never see that end of the bike :D Good luck and welcome aboard !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome guys :)

Complete change of tack, I'm thinking of putting a deposit down on a new 2012 Wing, which are being launched in the UK soon. There are plenty of low mileage 2011 Wing's around too, one just 12 weeks old with only 500 miles and a saving of £5k over new, very tempting!

I understand you lucky people over the pond already have the new Wing, is it significantly better than last years bike?

·
Registered
102 Posts
New Wing

Ya, if you can swing it go for the newer Wing. You won't be sorry.
I know I love my 1800.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Mixed reviews on the '12 Rusty. Yes it's better but is it that much $$ better than a non-current new '10? It's a judgement call. GPS is better (although we're hearing a few niggles now) and the rear styling has a few (ok lots) unfriendly comments. They drive/handle better thanks to the Bridgestone rubber and there is more luggage space. Fit and finish is defintely superior IMO and the stereo is better too. I don't know what I'd actually do if I was buying right now, but my heart tells me I'd opt for the '12 just because it's new and moderately improved. Biggest detriment I can see here in Canada is the airbag only comes in blue. Since we can't have the white or black, I'd have to have the red and I'd want the aribag:confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts