Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here from the U.P. of Michigan?
I'm thinking of moving there and getting away from Florida.
I know 'Climate Shock' is one thing. Just want to live somewhere else and start over.
I want to see autumn, enjoy a good old fashion winter like I had when I was young and a plain old spring and summer.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
the u.p. is a nice place to visit even in the winter but i wouldn't want to live there. port austin and huron city are far enough away for me

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Is anyone here from the U.P. of Michigan?
I'm thinking of moving there and getting away from Florida.
I know 'Climate Shock' is one thing. Just want to live somewhere else and start over.
I want to see autumn, enjoy a good old fashion winter like I had when I was young and a plain old spring and summer.
Are you still looking for a Convent that will fit your needs?

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello boydp55 and welcome to the forum.
What you mention is what I am looking for I'm tired of crowds, the hustle 'n bustle, want to have the seasons and a better cost of living; would enjoy peace and quiet too.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Hi trike lady, a couple of years ago we had our Goldrush annual event at Boyne Mt. resort with the GWTA (Gold Wing Touring Association). The area was very nice but I herd the riding is not the best. We did go to the tunnel of trees which I loved and did the Mackinac bridge. I know this isn't saying much, but what the heck, I was there. I also have dealt with a real nice bike shop called Michigan Chrome. Nice shop & people to deal with.

·
Administrator
15,296 Posts
I went to college in Houghton. When we would leave there to drive back to SE Michigan to visit family it was 100 miles to the first traffic light in Negaunee. My first year up there they received the record snowfall, 360 inches in Calumet. Marquette is a very nice town and probably the biggest city in the UP. I really liked the Houghton/Hancock area. Beautiful location and great for motorcycles except for the five or six months of winter. That is where I first got a bike and started riding. When spring does come the percentage of motorcycles on the road was the highest I have seen anywhere else. I would live there in a heart beat, but I would miss my wife. She wouldn't live anywhere that snow is expected to be on the ground for months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As you might be able to tell from my screen name, I love it there. My dad grew up in Ishpeming and I have vacationed there my whole life. It only has one flaw. The summers are too short for a good riding season. Snowmobiles get a bigger workout. ATVs use the snowmobile trails during the non snowy months. I can only stay a week at a time when I go. After that, my body says it's time to sleep.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My grandma, who lived in the U.P., used to say they had 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad sledding. Years ago, I saw a 5 foot high snow pile in July. It was the result of plowing a parking lot and pushing the snow into the shade of trees. I've also seen frost on the bird bath in July. Don't let that scare you away. Think of all the money you'll save by not running the A/C. You might see me in and around Marquette County during the summer.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
A snowmobile is a must have in the Michigan UP. I think they average somewhere around 155' of snow during the winter season. As already mentioned, the UP of Michigan is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. You think Texas has some large mosquitos? The average UP mosquito is much bigger. There are 60 species of mosquitoes in Michigan.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
great roads and scenery make a nice place to visit but lets talk about employment

·
Registered
16 Posts
A snowmobile is a must have in the Michigan UP. I think they average somewhere around 155' of snow during the winter season. As already mentioned, the UP of Michigan is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. You think Texas has some large mosquitos? The average UP mosquito is much bigger. There are 60 species of mosquitoes in Michigan.
I have seen a postcard that shows the mosquito as the U.P. state bird. A 4X4 vehicle makes getting around a lot easier, but a snowmobile, ATV, and a boat make getting around more fun.

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
great roads and scenery make a nice place to visit but lets talk about employment
I've looked into the employment situation and while the area is what I want, jobs are not plentiful.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.