Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of fuel (octane wise) is everybody using? I've been paying top $ for 91 in California but others tell me they burn 87 so I'm trying that, see if it makes a difference.

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
87 octane will do just fine, but I use 91 octane, as it isn't oxygenated.

·
Banned
103 Posts
I'm using non-ethanol gas. It comes in mid grade (89?) and high octane (91). She seems to like the 91 a little better ... so I've been sticking to that.

On the road? In the hot stop and go traffic, I'll use 91. On the open road (slab) I'll use what ever regular is available, unless it goes below 86.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have used 87 in my 93 Wing with no problems at all.
When I had my 88 Wing It would knock a little under load, so used 89.
My ST 1100 runs fine on 87 also.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Service Manual for the 1800 calls for 87 Octane. :icon_smile_big: Isaac

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What type of fuel (octane wise) is everybody using? I've been paying top $ for 91 in California but others tell me they burn 87 so I'm trying that, see if it makes a difference.
Reason I ask is because I am still wondering about mpg issues. I tend to think better grade would result in better mpg. Nothing scientific, it just sort of makes sense somewhere in my brain. Plus, I also tend to think that 91 would be cleaner.

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts
87 works...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Wings are "made" to run 87 and 10% ethanol will do no harm.
I do get 2 or 3 more MPG using straight gas over the ethanol mix.
Usually I found no mileage improvement by using a higher octane.
Concluded using a higher grade was a waste of $$ years ago!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wings are "made" to run 87 and 10% ethanol will do no harm.
I do get 2 or 3 more MPG using straight gas over the ethanol mix.
Usually I found no mileage improvement by using a higher octane.
Concluded using a higher grade was a waste of $$ years ago!
Anybody know if we have straight gas her in California? I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Anybody know if we have straight gas her in California? I haven't been able to figure it out yet.
You might check at the Union 76 stations, here in Oregon most of them carry non-alcohol fuels. There a little more expensive, but thats what I run in my bike.

If you want to run non-alcohol fuel you can remove the alcohol yourself.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
I like to do the occasional non-ethanol, but run 87 otherwise.

·
Banned
466 Posts
I know from my hotrod and having it dyno tuned year over year (same team, same dyno) that California fuel is some of the worst there is available. The Mustang reacts poorly to degraded gasoline because it is tuned right up to the edge. That said; the Wing does not seem to care one way or another. I mean what 120 rwhp out of 1.8L? (never had mine on a dyno, just guessing), something like 65HP/L is not exactly a stressed engine. Seems close to perfect for its intended use.

There are numerous websites that claim to have lists of retail outlets with "pure gasoline". PureGas is an example.

CARB's GAQ on ethanol in gasoline

Article about the coming of E15 for Motorcycles

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Although the manual recommend 65 octane or better I have found that 87 octane does just fine. There are different brands that use a variety of additives that can make a difference in how your Gold Wing runs. The systems are designed to make minor adjustments for variations in fuel, I personally believe that the more consistently you use the same fuel in the engine it can make a difference. With fuel prices some folks are more concerned with MPG and they buy off brands that may not be so good to use. I may pay .05 to .10 per gallon more by only using Conoco or Shell but I think it pays off in the long run. I consistently get 42 to 45 mpg with 87 octane.

Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x366kxmgqEw#!

http://money.msn.com/saving-money-tips/post.aspx?post=8fa3733f-ab56-4bc7-afe7-893358cdc8b6

http://www.toptiergas.com/

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

http://www.toptiergas.com/faqs.html

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anybody know about Costco gas? I filled up there yesterday and the truck was there. Guess I could of checked but didn't think about it. Maybe he would have told me what refinery he came from.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
As mentioned, GLs are designed to run 87. I will put 91 (or better) in the tank prior to winter storage, but that's it. All you're succeeding in doing is feeding the oil companies buying their premium. Honda does make engines that are recommended for premium fuel, but those are all clearly indicated on the fuel door or tank filler

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Anybody know about Costco gas? I filled up there yesterday and the truck was there. Guess I could of checked but didn't think about it. Maybe he would have told me what refinery he came from.
Don't know about California but the gas around here of most brands come from a fuel yard in Birmingham and distributed to the stations. Most people don't realize this is the case.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I run my 1800 on 87. I did use 89 for awhile and thought it ran better but when I went back to 87 it ran the same so using anything else is just a waste of money. I wish we had straight gas here because this corn fuel really sucks. Takes a gallon of fuel to make a gallon of corn fuel so whats the gain?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.