Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fortunately we had a change of plans last weekend for our ride. We ended up in the Hill country to ride three sisters out of Leakey. If you've never been its a must go just ride within your ability things happen fast. They're ranch roads 335,336,and337 plus the ride out of Kerrville where we stayed the first night. Lots of twisties and elevation changes. We wanted to get the first ride in early because in the later months it gets busy with seasonal riders and all. We're planning a trip back in a couple of months where we can spend more time and see all that we missed. We got into town Saturday night after 213 miles around 6 and relaxed and rested for the next days ride. We started Sunday morning at seven and got back out at four taking as much time as we could afford. It really needs to be done with more time to play with there's alot more to do around there after you ride. We played tag with a group of 1800's and a triker through two out of the three roads. My hats off to the triker seem like everytime I spotted him in a turn he was flying a tire I don't know a thing about trikes and it amazed me that it would handle that good. Anyway besides short hops the past winter when it was nice enough and riding to work this was our first big ride and you could tell by looking at us when we got home. Three hunderd and sixty three miles is usually no big deal for us in the middle of the season but to shake the winter cobwebs off??? Maybe a less demanding ride next year lol. That and it'll be more relaxing when we go back with more time to play with.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Those are my favorite roads to take my Triumph Speed Four on. I only wish they were closer. Takes me about three hours to get there, witch is not a big deal on the Wing. But on a crotch rocket....;) Be sure to see the motorcycle museum if you haven't.

·
Super Moderator
14,411 Posts
Thanks, my bucket list keeps getting heavier. I found all that on a map and it looks great. Where is that motorcycle museum?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't wait to go back in a couple of months and take more time. We rode hard Sunday did all three routes and back to Kerrville by four filled up and off to CenTex to get home at a decent time. I brought 2 cameras chop. The wife didn't think about getting out the point n shoot for pics on the road,and I didn't have the presence of mind to get the other out of the bag when we stopped. It's a must do ride crown been on my list for a while. We went early so we could enjoy the ride without the crowds and had all three of the ladies to ourselves for the most part. My must ride circle has gotten quite large since owning the 15 and being able to stay in the saddle longer to get where I want to go. I'm looking at a couple of routes in Arkansas and Colorado now,and we ride Telahina OK to Mina AR every year in the fall usually base out of Brokenbow.

·
Super Moderator
14,411 Posts
In Colorado look at Hwy 14 from Ft. Collins to Walden. I used to work up there (Gould) and while I never had a bike then, I think about getting back there all the time. It was a fun ride even in my 1972 Gremlin. Just have to get the wife to want to ride that far to make a visit.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Loved the Sisters. If you have never ridden them here is a hint. If you see a sign saying 15mph, believe it.And, for Gods sake down shift! Some of the switchbacks are on a steep hill. You will need the torque.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Oh yes. The town of Leaky is great. We went durring the HS homecoming week. When I saw the "LEAKY EAGLES" banner I couldn't stop laughing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just looking at 14 out of Collins and it looks like a blast. My wife wants to ride to Steamboat and visit relatives so I'm planning the trip and see if we can do it this summer. Bill's right though posted speeds on the sisters are pretty accurate for the most part and Leakey is very biker friendly.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Hey 89 GL--My wife and I rode the Sisters on 3/14/11 on the 2005 Wing as well--what a fabulous day for riding! It's right at 350 miles from our place in North Texas, so we made it a 3-day weekend. Beautiful country.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He Will we probably crossed eachothers paths along the route. We came across alot of wings. Were y'all in the pack with the trike? There were 3 of us one was a HD Ultra and I was two up.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
He Will we probably crossed eachothers paths along the route. We came across alot of wings. Were y'all in the pack with the trike? There were 3 of us one was a HD Ultra and I was two up.
I re-read your original post and noted that you were riding the Sisters on Sunday; we rode 'em on Saturday, so we missed you. Attached is a shot of yours truly and swmbo (she who must be obeyed) in our "road-crew" jackets from the Saturday ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ahhh Wished I would have had the presence of mind to have the wife take pics along the way. Too excited about the ride I guess. We only got 4 pics one of a christmas tree with presents about a mile outta Leakey on the left lol.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Ahhh Wished I would have had the presence of mind to have the wife take pics along the way. Too excited about the ride I guess. We only got 4 pics one of a christmas tree with presents about a mile outta Leakey on the left lol.
We didn't take any shots with a digital still camera, we only shot hand held video with a "flip" camera. Unfortunately, there is enough bounce on the video to give motion sickness to anyone prone to such. Attached is a still taken from the video of a wild turkey in full flight. A few of her compadres can be seen in the background near the fence line. The entire flock had crossed just in front of us, and this last one almost took herself out on my windshield. Glad she didn't...a 9 or 10 pound turkey hitting the bike at speed would not have been a positive thing for the bird or the bike. Come to think of it, I've seen cowboy hats adorned with beaucoup feathers...perhaps collisions of this type are common.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,411 Posts
Have you been to Barber's in Birmingham, AL? That's a great museum if you haven't been there.
Not yet, but that one is on the list also. There are some covered bridges near there that are interesting rides.

Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC is a great place to visit. You'll spend a day to take a look at all the bikes they have there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts