Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2006 GL1800 2003 Escapade trailer
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All you fans of twisty roads....check out California state route 130 between Patterson and San Jose. Unreal.....especially the section around Mt. Hamilton...makes the Dragon look like I-10.

The scenery is quite lovely in the spring...if you can take your eyes off the road long enough!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Wow! I checked it out on Google maps and it looks great! Only trouble for me is that I am in western Canada, so this is not a day trip, but would certainly be good for a destination ride! My son used to live in San Jose and I've ridden there and back once - maybe time to do it again?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! I checked it out on Google maps and it looks great! Only trouble for me is that I am in western Canada, so this is not a day trip, but would certainly be good for a destination ride! My son used to live in San Jose and I've ridden there and back once - maybe time to do it again?
Patterson is about 20 miles from me so it's a good day trip. There's also an observatory at the top of Mt. Hamilton that is quite interesting. I agree....time to come on down and visit again!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Patterson is about 20 miles from me so it's a good day trip. There's also an observatory at the top of Mt. Hamilton that is quite interesting. I agree....time to come on down and visit again!
Maybe summer 2022 will work!

·
Registered
311 Posts
My son's girlfriend's family is from Manteca and Tracy. If he gets rid of his sport bike and picks a more suitable bike for touring 2 up, maybe those two will join me! Both of them live in Edmonton, close to my wife and me, so it would be a nice trip from home (AB) to home (CA) for all of us!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My son's girlfriend's family is from Manteca and Tracy. If he gets rid of his sport bike and picks a more suitable bike for touring 2 up, maybe those two will join me! Both of them live in Edmonton, close to my wife and me, so it would be a nice trip from home (AB) to home (CA) for all of us!
I'm originally from SoCal....Orange County....but have been in Modesto since 1981. The central valley is not much to look at (unless you LOVE farm land) but the ocean is 1.5 hours away...the Sierra Nevada is 1.5 hours away....L.A. is 5 hours....Las Vegas is 7 hours...all kinds of places to go and to see. Manteca has a very nice softball complex.

·
Administrator
15,393 Posts
Another good California road would be Hwy 36 from Red Bluff to Carlotta. It's on my bucket list from a wildfire I worked near Mad River a while back. This summer I added Hwy 3 from Douglas City to Hayfork. Hwy 299 would be nice too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another good California road would be Hwy 36 from Red Bluff to Carlotta. It's on my bucket list from a wildfire I worked near Mad River a while back. This summer I added Hwy 3 from Douglas City to Hayfork. Hwy 299 would be nice too.
CA 36 is pretty famous as a motorcycle road. I have been on 299 from Fortuna to Redding...also a nice road. Check out the website "Pashnit"....excellent site with reviews of all the good roads around the country.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
If you're in the area, just south of Eureka, CA, is CA hwy 211, it takes you into Ferndale, then connect with Mattole Road, it winds around to the area called the "Lost Coast" and then puts you out on U.S. 101 at the Eel River Bridge. I've been over this road once and will have to do it again, it an awesome 75 mile ride.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're in the area, just south of Eureka, CA, is CA hwy 211, it takes you into Ferndale, then connect with Mattole Road, it winds around to the area called the "Lost Coast" and then puts you out on U.S. 101 at the Eel River Bridge. I've been over this road once and will have to do it again, it an awesome 75 mile ride.
Oh yes...the lost coast is stunning...good call.

·
Administrator
15,393 Posts
I just added this to the bucket list. Sure hope I can still be riding when I'm 114.

·
Administrator
15,393 Posts

·
Administrator
15,393 Posts
How often do you take the older one out?
That is in front of the dealer where I traded it in. They have it for sale and I was back for a rear tire that picked up a nail. I thought it made for a good picture. Out with the old and in with the new.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is in front of the dealer where I traded it in. They have it for sale and I was back for a rear tire that picked up a nail. I thought it made for a good picture. Out with the old and in with the new.
Totally off topic, and I have seen your posts for years and have received good advice before so......do you miss anything about the older model? What do you consider the biggest upgrade on the new one?

·
Administrator
15,393 Posts
Totally off topic, and I have seen your posts for years and have received good advice before so......do you miss anything about the older model? What do you consider the biggest upgrade on the new one?
Ooohhhh, hijacking a thread, love it!

The older bike did have better reception of radio stations. I notice that I can't get a local station as far away as it used to. Other than that, I'll get by. The older one had more storage in the side compartments, but it's a little skinnier now so not as much. Nothing to cause a problem, but my old luggage that fit it just right is now too big.

Better; the bike "feels" smaller. The smaller faring gives it a sleeker look but still does about as well in the wind and rain, but I haven't tested that out much yet. Certainly nothing as yet like some of the toad drowners I rode in with the older one. The extra top end gear does help it get better fuel mileage. I get the same, and sometimes more, miles per tank with the new bike as with the old.

The jury is still out on the seat. The old stock seat sat me too far forward. I bought the Wingsoft seat that modified it to sit me 3 inches back and that was great. I've done a couple 500 mile days on this stock seat and it starts to pain me, but I'm not sure if it isn't from the tree falling accident I experienced back in April. I'm not completely over that yet, so maybe it's fine. Time will tell. I've only taken two trips so far. But I have one to Texas coming up in a few weeks that should help me sort out some things.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ooohhhh, hijacking a thread, love it!

The older bike did have better reception of radio stations. I notice that I can't get a local station as far away as it used to. Other than that, I'll get by. The older one had more storage in the side compartments, but it's a little skinnier now so not as much. Nothing to cause a problem, but my old luggage that fit it just right is now too big.

Better; the bike "feels" smaller. The smaller faring gives it a sleeker look but still does about as well in the wind and rain, but I haven't tested that out much yet. Certainly nothing as yet like some of the toad drowners I rode in with the older one. The extra top end gear does help it get better fuel mileage. I get the same, and sometimes more, miles per tank with the new bike as with the old.

The jury is still out on the seat. The old stock seat sat me too far forward. I bought the Wingsoft seat that modified it to sit me 3 inches back and that was great. I've done a couple 500 mile days on this stock seat and it starts to pain me, but I'm not sure if it isn't from the tree falling accident I experienced back in April. I'm not completely over that yet, so maybe it's fine. Time will tell. I've only taken two trips so far. But I have one to Texas coming up in a few weeks that should help me sort out some things.
Even better....hijacking MY OWN thread! I recall when I first saw the 2018 model it seemed too small and I didn't like it (I have a 2006). When I saw the 2021 with the larger trunk...the wheels started turning.

Here where I am, there's a Honda, BMW and Harley dealer all within a half mile of one another. I have only seen 2 Goldwings at Honda and that was the 2018 when it first came out and the 2021 a few weeks ago. The 2021 lasted about 2 days before it was gone.

I have been mulling some mods on mine...namely a Russell Day Long seat and a Madstad windshield.....even considered a Henry's final drive but haven't done any of them yet.

I have taken several week long trips (I've had the bike for 3 years) but nothing long enough where I was regretting going.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts