Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start at the beginning and try to be brief...

I have a 1978 Gl1000. I noticed that the right turn signal light would come on but not flash. Later that week it started happening with the left turn signal and on my way home from that ride I lost power to the bike completely.

The main fuse holder had melted and fried the fuse. Tonight I replaced the fuse holder (the wiring is a nightmare, I will try to post pictures tomorrow). I also cleaned the turn signal switch and put some dielectric grease on it.

The bike fired up and seemed fine except that now the rear turn signal lights don't come on at all, the front turn signal lights are on and only go off if I flip the switch, and still no flashing. Also, it might have always been this way and I didn't notice but the headlight dims unless I am revving the engine.

I know it's not much to go on but any advice anyone can offer is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
I feel your pain! My starter solenoid decided to fry himself up while I was at Lamphere's campground in Sturgis in August, 750 miles from home. (No way I was making THAT phone request to the little lady!:eek:)

Got home on this McGyver Special, a 12V lawn tractor starter solenoid bought at O'Reilly's in Sturgis.

I suspect Trike Lady will be along to lay out the procedures to solve your electrical issues!:D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Check your ground connections on the frame and engine.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I'm a real doofus when it comes to electrics, but it's usually something quite simple once you find it. I'd start with an ohm meter and see if you can trace down the gremlin. Hopefully our resident sparks wizard (trike lady) can be more helpful along with some of our more talented wrenchers.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Wiring Under the Seat -

Hey Lonewulf, I believe that the turn signal circuit on your bike operates like a car - in that if the rear bulb doesn't light up, the same side front bulb will burn but not flash. The reason that a bulb does not come on is usually a simple fix and will often be 1- bulb 2 -ground 3 internal bulb socket contacts or 4 -a spade connector along the length of the wire.

A rear light/turn signal problem is often found under the seat on top of the rear fender. There is a wiring junction within a soft plastic cover about the size of a pack of cigarettes. Just pull/re-install each wire spade connector one at a time to prevent any mix ups. Like Cantankerous mentioned clean and tighten the ground terminal lug (usually 10 mm bolt) found on the tail piece of the frame.

By the way - on all of the bikes I've owned, I've replaced the MAIN FUSE LINK with either an automotive two piece (twist style) fuse cartridge or with a modern two legged plug-in fuse socket. It is fairly simple to just solder in an equivalent replacement assembly for the main fuse circuit. I've found this to be especially important when making sure to have a couple of spare fuses in case of a emergency on the road and not have to deal with the factory style FUSE LINK. I think on the GL1000 the main fuse is rated at about 30 Amps.

Good Luck, Michael:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.