Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the turn signals on my '90 Goldwing, they seem to stop signaling before my turn, I bump the switch again but sometimes I forget and I don't want to be the hood ornament on some truck. So my question is.......is there a way to make the turn signals flash longer? Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I believe the signals are controled by travel distance and the bank angle sensor. After you go so far they turn off or if the bike recognizes that you have turned they turn off. I guess thats so if you forget and leave them on, which could be a problem if you are traveling down the road an someone thinks you are turning in and they pull out in front of you. Don't know if there is a way to make them run longer...

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
According to my 93 owners manual the S.E. is the only one that cancels after the turn. On my 93 Aspencade it self cancels after a factory set distance. I'm thinking somewhere around 400 feet could be more or less, just know it cancels after some distance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I know the bank angle sensor turns them off after a turn it just seems they stop flashing before I make my turn. I like to give a lot of advance warning to cars behind me of my intentions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I know the bank angle sensor turns them off after a turn it just seems they stop flashing before I make my turn. I like to give a lot of advance warning to cars behind me of my intentions.
:) I'm riding my 4th Wing and all of them have operated as you mentioned. I usually have to punch the button a second time to ensure everyone reads the turn-signal. May be one, but I know of no adjustment that is available to remedy the situation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow! Same problem I have been trying to get an answer to for four years on my 2004. The turn sig will stay on forever if you are waiting at a light to turn, but needs turning BACK on if you are still heading down the road towards that turn. I too like to advertise my intentions looong before I slow down.
I'll follow this thread to see if anyone has a good fix.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Thew bank anlge sensor and the distance are part of it, but vehicle speed also is a factor. They will cancel faster at highway speeds it seems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is a 7 second time out if the brake lights are not on.
This is so when you change lanes they cancel, but if you are stopping they will stay on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have developed the habit of hitting the turn signal switch a 2nd and sometimes a 3rd time just to make sure it stays on. I start it 'way before the turn, trying to make sure the other drivers nearby know my intent. Quite often I manually cancel it after turning, not wanting to give the false indication of making another turn.

I have arthritis in both my thumbs, but it seems such a simple thing to do that it's almost effortless. 'Course, I started driving before cars had turn signals, so it's difficult for me to not do the hand signal whenever turning. Come to think of it, it's not a bad idea for redundancy while trying to make your intention known.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I also just keep hitting the turn signal switch till I get very close to the turn. It is now a habit, that you will just have to develop yourself.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've never 'bumped' the button, always just re-activate when it turns off. I'll give that a go one of these times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts