Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search here and didn't come across the answer so hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Just bought a 95 SE with 41k miles.
I think the previous owner was good to service it but just didn't stay on top of things cosmetic.
So, I am on a mission to bring it back to new. I am getting ready to tear off all the exterior to have it painted. Oddly enough, the paint looks great but it's Magenta. (purple with a college education). No offense to the other Magenta's out there, it is just not me.

Anyway, most of the pieces, the shelter and bags look like fiberglass just looking at the stiffness and thickness. I have some repairs to do on the front fender piece as well and believe to be plastic.

Just wanting to better understand what I am about to get into here. I have a service manual on order but I plan to start before it will get here.

Thanks in advance. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
The parts of your Wing are plastic, I believe ABS plastic (not to be confused with ABS brakes). They sell plastic welding kits for the do it yourselfer and a two part plastic repair kit.

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
love2ride, The plastic is indeed ABS & they do make those products. You can also go to a plumbing supply house & get a can of ABS pipe cement. This is a black cement not clear, orange or white. Make sure it is not cpvc, pvc, or multipurpose. I have used it on two parts that tabs have broken off it works great, & is pretty cheap.

Now as far as disassembly before you get your service manual that should be no problem since all your doing is removing tupperware. Just look at the pieces carefully, take your time, & don't force anything. There are a lot of tabs & latches that slide into slots. Good luck on your project. Here's an idea for you take before, during & after pictures to share with us.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Another Wing on the road to recovery. I commend you on your efforts to keep America beautiful.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
I vote for ABS plastic too, so we are either all right or all wrong. Joe will know for sure...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Abs

My 2 cents. The ABS glue not easy to find I had to special order. Oatey #30916 ABS Cement (black).
From privious threads:
Plastic may be more than 50 pieces, paint all at same time to get good match.

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
My 2 cents. The ABS glue not easy to find I had to special order. Oatey #30916 ABS Cement (black).
Carl you just have to be an HVAC/Plumbing guy.:D

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It never ceases to amaze me

Thanks EVERYONE!

I gotta say it is inspiring and refreshing to see so many people out there willing to help. I got to say that after years of watching the news and hearing of all the waste and corruption, it is easy to get a jaded view of the world. None of you know me but you have already been a big help. So thank you-all. (My wife, Karen, will especially be grateful as the purchase of this is so she can have a "queen" seat and I get to take longer rides.

I am taking all the plastic off the bike. I have already started on the dash board. I found that fusion, flat black is very close to the color (not perfect) the honda paint has some blue in it. While the big parts are being painted, I will take off all the grey parts and paint myself so all the grey will match. I am going have the bike painted white (for visibility) and have them put some metal flake in the clear coat.

I already have some lights to replace the reflectors in the rear.
I just got a new set of speakers as well with a 100 watt amp.
I watched others put this little unit on Honda Sabre's and they all seemed very pleased with the sound. I tried it out yesterday and WOW, the marine grade speakers were great with the Ipod. (under $100 for all)

Once it is stripped down, I am going to go thru all the fluids, do a tune up and sync the carbs.

I hope to basically have a new bike in 4 or 5 weeks.
Then I will have to say good bye to my Sabre.

I was already excited to get this going and now that I have found all of you, I am even more pumped to "git 'r done".
(It always helps to have a cheerleading section that is willing to help when I get stuck or screw up-and no doubt, I will) :D

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
post before and after pictures if you can. I'd like to see the finished Wing.

·
Super Moderator
11,791 Posts
post before and after pictures if you can. I'd like to see the finished Wing.

Sounds like it's already too late for the before pictures. :(

·
Super Moderator
11,791 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually,
I did take some pics for myself. I will get them posted this week.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Before pictures

Here are the before pictures.
I put them on an album on my home page.

standing back it looked pretty good but after closer inspection, there were alot of things that wasn't getting fixed.

Everything works but the tape deck.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, if anyone wants to see how many parts can be removed in 3 hours,
look at my 2nd album. Tear down day 1.

It's too late now, I have jumped off the cliff. It may never be the same.

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
Nice Pics, Good Job so far TJ. These baby's aren't that much fun to pull apart are they? Anyway keep up the good work you've got awhile to go. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,791 Posts
Wow! You're a LOT more ambitious than I am! Looks like one heck of a project, but you'll have a very nice machine when you're done.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The motorcycle tech here locally who buys and rebuilds wrecked bikes swears by a product called Double Bubble for plastic items. comes in about a teaspoon size pre-measured package, one hundred packages for about $80 - $100. It's a major undertaking, I started on my '83 Venture and run a little short of alot of things once I bought my Wing. Got to have some money for DQ!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ain't she pretty!

pulled off the rest of the tupperware today.

Now I can see what this beast really looks like.

stripped left rear.jpg

stripped right front.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
Gosh a totally stripped down Wing looks funny thank heavens :eek: when I build a trike it only looses the back end :).

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
no fiberglass on a wing unless you or someone else put it there

1 - 20 of 27 Posts