Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Presently own a 2010 Goldwing, I am in the process of installing Kuryakyn risers. Install requires the disconnect of the wiring harness plug. Any tips on the disconnect???
TKS!
Marco

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is written assuming you are installing handlebar risers.

I recently bought an 08 Goldwing and had the selling dealership install the Kuryakan bar risers. I don't have any info for you on disconnecting the plug and I'm not sure in what specific position the bar risers are set at (I had them set the position for a rider about 5'7"), but be forwarned that upon my initial attempt to lock the forks, I could not get them to lock because I couldn't turn the forks to full lock as the two cables above the right handlebar hit the faring and prevented the bars from being turned to full lock. I played around with it a bit and found if I carefully grasped the two cables above the right handlebar and pulled them up as I simultaneously pushed the bars to the left and pushed down on the key as I turned it to the lock position, I could then turn the handlebars bar far enough to allow the mechanism to lock.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chopin114
I am installing Kuryakyn bar risers? I have to remove the wire harness plug and donot have the service manual as of yet??

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
I have the Service manual. I am very interested in your endeavor as I am looking to do it myself. It is clear from the " Reviews " posted on the web site that the instuctions, for many , were less than clear. I'm sending you a Private Message.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You need a small flat head screw driver to get in there and release the little clips on that plug. It is a PITA the first time you do it but gets easier from there when you need to do it again.

I have had mine off a few times and the first time seemed like it was just really tight and I could not tell if I was releasing the clip or not.

Also, that entire assembly will slide off the dash piece to the left. That will let you remove the dash and get both hands on that harness.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
This link will show you how to do it, There is a video at the end of the first post. Once you have it apart break off the tab so you don't have to go through this every time you remove the dash. The plug is tight enough that it will not come apart without the tab holding it together.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196034

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
This link will show you how to do it, There is a video at the end of the first post. Once you have it apart break off the tab so you don't have to go through this every time you remove the dash. The plug is tight enough that it will not come apart without the tab holding it together.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196034
That's the one I was looking for joe ! I sent him Steve Saunders. I think it helped but I knew there was a better viewed one . Kudos joe. Could have used you last week though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the info. Just some advice when installing the 10mmx 30mm torx bolts be very carefully when installing the bolts you are working in close quarters and can easily cross thread the bolts. Secondly, when working with torx be carefull not to strip the head.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
That's the one I was looking for joe ! I sent him Steve Saunders. I think it helped but I knew there was a better viewed one . Kudos joe. Could have used you last week though.
Hey Lee, if Marco is done with Steve, send him over here. I have some questions as well.

and, you are the man! I had no idea you were so well connected.

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
Hey Lee, if Marco is done with Steve, send him over here. I have some questions as well.

and, you are the man! I had no idea you were so well connected.
Saunders is a good fellow. His video on installing the Utopia backrest was my inspiration. That heavy Scottish accent, however, can drive an American crazy so listen carefully. Here's Steve :http://www.goldwingfacts.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts