Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRY AGAIN:

6K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  oldebikerfarte 
#1 ·
I'm once again planning a ride up the eastern side of the country from Atlanta the Canadian Maritimes. This will be the third plan. In 2011 it turned into a trip to the desert southwest instead http://latelifebiker.com/ride-of-a-late-lifetime/ , and last year it was stay home or take the new dog with me. Since then I've taught her to ride long distances, but my wife plans to keep her at home, anyway.
For the first time I'll be pulling a camper trailer. I discovered out west that I'm just too damned old for this tenting routine. So I bought me a used Kwik Kamp, and the dog and I have already taken it on a shakedown cruise. Much easier.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150861528988995&set=a.73286938994.76821.652313994&type=3&theater
I'll leave after May 15 and plan to ride the full length of the BRP and Skyline Drive on the way north. The return trip--and all of the ride actually-- is open for suggestions. I have an olde farte pass for the U.S. national parks, and I tend to stay close to them for financial reasons.
I'm looking for input on routes, trailering, Canada, and anything else that strikes your fancy. I also wouldn't mind picking up some riding companions for any or all of the trip. I plan to do it in about a month, smelling roses along the way.
Let me know your thoughts.
Best. -paul

See less See more
#2 ·
Uhhh, OBF, uhhh, in about a month? In Feb? To maritimes? Did you mean to say in about a quarter? Like maybe April. Or have you already packed snowshoes for you and skis for the bike and trailer?

This Texas wimp envies your plan except for the timing. This will go beyond "brrrr".

#7 ·
Uhhh, OBF, uhhh, in about a month? In Feb? To maritimes? Did you mean to say in about a quarter? Like maybe April. Or have you already packed snowshoes for you and skis for the bike and trailer?
This Texas wimp envies your plan except for the timing. This will go beyond "brrrr".
I always try to do my board posting BEFORE the martini hour, BW. That way I don't overlook little details such as "I'll leave after May 15 and plan to ride the full length of the BRP and Skyline Drive on the way north."
I learned my lesson in 2011 on the southwest ride. I started in mid-April and got snowed on three different times. On my second night in Arches NP the overnight temp dipped to 28 degrees.
I'd leave even later if I wasn't worried about getting bogged down in legions of whiney, screamy, bitchy, little school kids clogging up every campground from here to forever.:mad:
Yeah. Yeah. I know... why do you think it says "old biker farte"?

#9 ·
Okay, ya young whippersnapper, wait until 16 years from now and see how you feel about riding 700 miles across Kansas or Oklahoma to get to your REAL riding adventure. Hell, BOTH of those states were hard enough in the air conditioned, no-bugs, music filled van. I did one on the outbound leg and the other on the homeward bound leg. That's 1400 miles of what would have been sheer agony on a bike.
Being from lush, beautiful Virgina (I was stationed at Oceana a century ago), you might not recognize how parched and dry many routes to happiness can be.
I'm too old and too impatient to ride endless ribbons of concrete just to color in another state on my "visited" patch.
Loved riding the Tidewater areas around Norfolk and Williamsburg, though. The bikes (mine and my wife's) came off a trailer for that, too. We were on our way to ride the coast of Maine and time was of the essence (the poor girl still punches a clock).

#5 ·
Just remember, you have a large cargo area in the Kwik Kamp but you don't have to fill it.
I carry a a grease gun along and every couple of day give the bearing a fresh shot of grease. The grease fitting on the Kwik Kamp are not like the old bearing buddys that just pack the grease into the bearing you can actually flush the old grease out when you grease them. I beleave they are called Dexter Bearing.

#10 ·
Thanks, Ron. That's just the kind of advice I'm looking for. The previous owner put Bearing Buddies on my KwikKamp, but I'll take your advise and carry grease just the same.
I really am concerned about the inclination to OVERload the trailer, I'll keep your advice in mind. I did Key West and the desert southwest with just what I could comfortably pack on the Goldwing, so I have experience with the tough decisions.
Regards. -paul

#15 ·
So my research appears to indicate. No service out of Portland, either, although officials there are trying to restore it. But there are ferries between Nova Scotia and both New Brunswick (St. Johns) and PEI (Wood Islands). In fact, between them, they make a nice little circle tour around The Bay of Fundy. The ferries are pricey (I figure about $170 for the two of them), but they save time and fuel and miles on the bike.

#16 ·
I'll put a flag and a strobe on that sucker, Blake. Glad to hear you're still riding.
My wife is from Maine. We met when I worked there. In 2010 we spent many happy hours riding the Bar Harbor/Acadia area. In my experience KOA is often more expensive than MOST motels. I use my National Park Service senior pass whenever I can. It cost me ten bucks a night for a choice site on the south rim of Grand Canyon and at Furnace Creek in Death Valley and in Zion, Bryce Canyon, and Arches. If you're an olde farte and don't have one, they cost a whopping ten dollars and they're good for life. -obf

#18 ·
End of May can be still pretty cool in the Atlantic Provinces for biking or camping especially around the Bay Of Fundy.You will definitely be riding close enough to it to feel it.We stayed at a small place(Alma) in New Brunswick on the Bay a few years back at the end of July.I went down to the dock to watch the fishing boats leave at around 9:30 AM and I could see my breath it was that cold.

Love the East Coast,but late July/early Aug is the prime time weather wise.IMHO.

#26 ·
End of May can be still pretty cool in the Atlantic Provinces for biking or camping especially around the Bay Of Fundy... end of July I went down to the dock to watch the fishing boats leave at around 9:30 AM and I could see my breath it was that cold.
Love the East Coast,but late July/early Aug is the prime time weather wise.IMHO.
I did the trip leaving Jun 08, 2001. One of the best rides I've done, although it was cold, especially the Confederation Bridge from PEI to NB... took the ferry from St. John, NB to Digby, NS, and onto Halifax (Peggy's Cove) and Cape Breton Highlands National Park (Cabot Trail), and took ferry from Caribou, NS, to PEI. We did not camp, but a buddy took a trailer, which he almost lost several times due to the rough condition of the roads; lot of dodging potholes. If I do it again, I'll do Jul/Aug for sure.
You guys have certainly saved me from some embarrassing discomfort. I wasn't going to pack the DOWN sleeping bag, just the summer sack. They don't weigh much, so I guess I'll be adding the the winter bag and some extra long johns to the packing list.
Now that you mention it, I remember when I lived in Marblehead, MA, and enjoyed the added comfort of crackling fireplace on one Fourth of July. Thanks to everyone for the growing wealth of advice.

#19 ·
This is one of my bucket list destinations. I've been looking at maps for years and I'm making notes on what advice you are getting. I've got nothing to add myself and look forward to hearing about your trip.

#20 ·
Mark, Will and I are still talking about a possible September 2013 run from Texas. We're trying to avoid the high heat of August in Texas and the tourist season would be over. It will probably be a month long trip though.

#25 ·
I did the trip leaving Jun 08, 2001. One of the best rides I've done, although it was cold, especially the Confederation Bridge from PEI to NB, the leg up the Acadian Coastal Drive to Campbellton, NB, and onto Rimouski and along the St. Lawrence Seaway through Quebec, Montreal and over to Niagara Fall, all cooler than expected. At the onset, we rode from Atlanta to Oneona, NY, before turning east and doing the Maine coast and into NB; took the ferry from St. John, NB to Digby, NS, and onto Halifax (Peggy's Cove) and Cape Breton Highlands National Park (Cabot Trail), and took ferry from Caribou, NS, to PEI. We did not camp, but a buddy took a trailer, which he almost lost several times due to the rough condition of the roads; lot of dodging potholes. If I do it again, I'll do Jul/Aug for sure.

#28 · (Edited)
Hope your plans come together Paul. If you're not seeing a notification of your PM's check your settings in your User CP. There's a box you can check to notify you of PM's via your e-mail
Sorry, just checked your settings, all is in order, if this continues, let me know please

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.