Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaned the trunk out this morning. Closed it, found a a pair of gloves I wanted to put in the trunk. Now it won't unlatch. I've tried locking and unlocking it. Even the thing where you turn the key to the left past the lock position, that doesn't work either.
Took the bottom of the trunk off hoping to find something amiss. Can't really see anything.
Has anybody had this happen to them.
Also if I drill the lock out do you think it will release the mechanism. If I recall there are three latches.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My 1500 has three levers under the box. The left one opens the left saddlebag and the right one the right bag, the middle one opens the trunk. Have you found them?

·
Premium Member
16,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 1500 has three levers under the box. The left one opens the left saddlebag and the right one the right bag, the middle one opens the trunk. Have you found them?
Thanks Jack, I quite familiar with them. I've own this bike since it was new in 93.
Thanks for trying to help.

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
I dread this happening, someone had told me the plastic latch breaks and and that you fashion a hook out of a sturdy wire hangar and try to catch the latching mechanism to release the lid by feeding it through where the levers are. That's what I've been told.
Part #42 breaks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Lady, I've heard of that and have been trying most of the afternoon. I've given up for the day and will try again tomorrow.
Also been told drilling the lock out will not help.
Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
12,265 Posts
If you can see these green dotted points from the bottom you can use a coat hanger and pull down on them to release the trunk.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I saw in a post somewhere (can't find it now) that after you get the trunk lid open using the above methods posted.....you can get a big plastic tie wrap and put it onto the bar that they refer to in the opening procedure above, and let the end of the long tie wrap feed down through where you used the coat hanger. You let the end just hang there and the next time you can't get into the trunk all you have to do is take off the lower panel of the trunk and pull on the tie wrap and it will open the trunk. I did this to mine and it works well. I have not had to use it yet other than testing it.

·
Super Moderator
10,000 Posts
I found this post which is probably the last option for you, but it may end up being the only option. Good luck and I hope you do not have to resort to this one..

When all else fails:

I'm going to append this little tidbit to this post, because I think it might come in handy to someone.

First of all, I want to say that the instructions here really are invaluable, and my method should only be attempted when the above listed method won't work.

I found myself in that situation. I literally tried for 3 hours to properly hook the bar, and it didn't happen for me. I finally made the decision that one of three things was gong to happen - 1) I was going to have to take it to the shop, and pay a small fortune for them to fix it (if they could), 2) I was going to try something drastic and end up ruining the box and having to pay a small fortune for a replacement, 3) I was going to try something drasting and maybe not end up ruining the box...

You can probably guess, I opted for the last option.

I'll repeat, the above recommendation is the best, if it will work for you.

If it doesn't - I pulled the seat, and used a dremmel too to cut a hole big enough to comfortably put my arm through. Don't be shy on this, if you make it too small, you'll really have a mess when you try to make it bigger.

Be sure to use something that will make a reasonably clean cut. You want a single piece to put back when you're done.

I then got the longest handled phillips screwdriver I could find in my garage, and unscrewed the two latches that lock into the mechanism. There are two screws for each latch. When you get them off, of course the trunk will open.

After I was finished with everything, I used a quality two part epoxy, put the piece back in place, and held it with black duct tape to let the epoxy dry. As it turned out, the black duct tape was so unnoticeable, I just left it in place.

The repaired hole is not visible from outside the trunk unless the seat is removed. I'm sure it's visible from the inside, but most of the gremlins seem to have moved out.

After you're done, reassemble it correctly this time, and learn from your experience. Be sure to check the adjustment on the latch tabs. If they're not positioned well, the trunk won't close properly.

In my case, a pice of the mechanism was underneat the latch bar. This was preventing the "hook the bar" method from working for me.

·
Super Moderator
12,265 Posts
I don't think I'd glue the piece back in place, I'd figure out some kind of fasteners. It sounds like it is a common occurrence and I'd want to have easier access..

·
Premium Member
16,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hooray, it's fixed. After spend most of the day Friday and the morning Saturday (today) trying to hook the bar that opens the latches, no luck.
When I was starting to think about cutting into the trunk, our friend WingRat called said he was coming up to help. Maybe another set of eyes would help.

A while back I had installed a tie rap on bar but the end broke off on my first try. It took a lot of messing but I was able to reposition what was left of the tie rap and got a needle nose pliers on what was left, then there was a comforting pop,, and the lid opened.
Then WingRat showed up. Together we set about figuring out what went wrong. Found there is a plastic U shape thing that hooks around the back side of the release bar and into the lever mechanism ( you can not see this till you remove the panel inside the trunk)
The post that fits into the mechanism was worn out and has slipped off the bar.
We drill the post and used a self tapping screw with a washer to secure the plastic piece in place.
I would suggest that before this happen to you. You remove the rear panel inside your trunk and put a tie rap on the latch bar. next to the latch release U shaped thing.
Maybe some people were able to hook the latch bar( you are working blind) although I thought I hooked a few time I was unable to release the latch. Fortunately I had put that tie rap on and it held up for that last try.
Thanks WingRat for all your help putting thing back together.

·
Super Moderator
12,265 Posts
Yay! Glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ah, I may be out to lunch here..so I just went to double check, on my '88 inside the trunk on the floor & just over the saddle bag..there is a rubber "plug"..take that out & there is a "button" you push down..the bag lid pops right open!..Nothin' too it, took about 5 sec...:eek::D
Never mind..I just re-read the problem..TRUNK latch..sorry..:eek::confused:

·
Premium Member
24,119 Posts
Ah, I may be out to lunch here..so I just went to double check, on my '88 inside the trunk on the floor & just over the saddle bag..there is a rubber "plug"..take that out & there is a "button" you push down..the bag lid pops right open!..Nothin' too it, took about 5 sec...:eek::D
Never mind..I just re-read the problem..TRUNK latch..sorry..:eek::confused:
I usually don't have that for lunch, I wait until after dinner.

·
Premium Member
16,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I definitely encourage installing the tie rap before you need it.

·
Super Moderator
12,265 Posts
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.