Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've tried everything I know and the trunk still does not open. I tried using the key to the left, and the latch, and still the trunk will not open. Is there another way I can get it open? OH, I also removed the lower cowl of the trunk and disconnected the link to the lever and tried pushing up on the lever as far as possible and still no OPEN.

Any suggestions would be great.:mad::(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, so found the problem. It is a broke lift pin on the Opener (which is the device that has all three levers attached to it). I had to cut a hole in the back of the trunk (5" dia) for my arm to fit in. Then I had to remove the screws that hold the catch from the trunk lid. The lid was free after that. I also see why my key would not open it. The lever that goes over the pull down lever on the "opener" was on the bottom side. Sometime in the past someone put the cover that holds the release for the catches back on without putting that tap over the top of the rod that goes from left to right. Anyway, if someone has a problem in the future I would be glad to walk you through it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
OK, so found the problem. It is a broke lift pin on the Opener (which is the device that has all three levers attached to it). I had to cut a hole in the back of the trunk (5" dia) for my arm to fit in. Then I had to remove the screws that hold the catch from the trunk lid. The lid was free after that. I also see why my key would not open it. The lever that goes over the pull down lever on the "opener" was on the bottom side. Sometime in the past someone put the cover that holds the release for the catches back on without putting that tap over the top of the rod that goes from left to right. Anyway, if someone has a problem in the future I would be glad to walk you through it.
WOW A 5" hole in the bag. That's got to hurt. I read this a few days back and have been pondering the answer you needed. Well I came up with an idea and got back on here to post it, and I was too late. Sorry it took me so long. I was thing of drilling the lock or the hinges and replacing them after you got it open.

How are you going to close up the 5" hole now?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well sense the back of the seat rests up against the box, have to go from the inside. I scribed the pattern of the circle on another piece of plastic cut it with the band saw, fits great. Just trying now to figure out how to attach it and make it look clean. Gluing it in place is so far the thought. I suppose I have to add some tabs to hold it, but perhaps the glue is all I need. I think I'll try that first. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the reply and have a good ride.

Oh, drilling the lock would not have worked as the lift mechanism was not on the horizontal rod correctly. The hinges, ya, that might have worked. didn't think of that one. I actually have a new top ordered as the one on there is cracked from the luggage bar, from a previous unrelated problem, stress fractures. So I'm using the plastic from the existing top to close the back hole, same stuff as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
yosemitebobr Go to your local Auto paint store or parts house and ask for a repair kit for ABS plastic. My friend uses one to repair the plastic bumper and grills on cars at a body shop. Its a 2 part black thick liquid a lot like caulk. I think he calls it "Panel Bond" After it dries you can sand it smooth and paint over it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GLWingnut:

Excellent advice. I had heard of that stuff, but forgot about it. I can make it weather proof again and look good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help,,, i can't get mine to open

I had to get one of my side bags open. I work'd on it for a couple of hours, i got it open, i didnt close it because i found the lock mechanism was bad, i decided to just bungee cord it for now, i shut the trunk and now i cannot get it open, the key will unlock the 3 switches for the sides and top. I can turn the key to the left but it feels like i am locking it. Really nothing there, is there any way that i can cut 2 small holes in it by the latches and just prop it open? I was thinking maybe a couple of 2" holes and sticking a screw driver in there and proping them open, will this work? I don't know what else to do. If i have to cut a big 5" hole in it where do i put it? Thanks for any information you can give me. I really don't want to replace the hole cover, it is in excellent shape. Perhaps maybe i could put on another light where i have to put the hole???? Thanks for any help you can give.

Ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
ok, so i've tried everything i know and the trunk still does not open. I tried using the key to the left, and the latch, and still the trunk will not open. Is there another way i can get it open? Oh, i also removed the lower cowl of the trunk and disconnected the link to the lever and tried pushing up on the lever as far as possible and still no open.

Any suggestions would be great.:mad::(

·
Registered
183 Posts
The stuff is: I'm reading from the package; 3M, bondo, bumper repair kit, No. 280 from NAPA, also Oatey ABS Cement #30916 4 fl oz can with brush.
I've used both.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Had this problem on my trunk. If you remove the top of the left & right rear speaker covers you can get to the upper hinge mounting nuts. There are 4 screws in each speaker cover. You can only get to 3 screws with lid closed. I removed 3 & raised the covers up to get to the nuts. Remove nuts & raise up back part of trunk lid. You can now get to the latch mounting screws without cutting up trunk. When I raised up rear trunk lid & worked it from side to side a little the lid came off. I then found the clip not over the release bar. Reinstalled release clip properly over bar & reassembled trunk & speakers. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have used JB Weld on several places on my Wing. They have the new 15 or 20 minute stuff that sets up within 5 minutes. You can sand on it or file it down about 20 minutes after it starts to set. Not sure if its cheaper than the abs repair kit but at least its another option. Works great on repairing holes in Valve Covers when you are on the road - I know that one for sure!

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a great site to learn how to care for you GoldWing! After a tire change and re-installation of the saddle bag lock cable I did not hook the plastic catch over the trunk release bar and closed the trunk lid - it would not open. I searched this site and thanks to your solution Peppyone 1955 to access the trunk hinges under the speaker covers I had the lid open in less than 20 minutes. Thanks again! Don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.