Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 GL1500 and the trunk will not latch down. :(
I'm new to the goldwing thing and don't even know where to start looking. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
almanorphoto, 1st Hello from Pennsylvania. Good to have you on board. I had a similar issue with my 1500 when I bought it. The p.o. had put edge trim on all the trunk/saddlebag doors & the latches would only catch if you forcefully closed the lids. I took all that off & had to adjust one of the sadddlebag latches & everything was good. I think it is just an adjustment, however if you have a manual check in there to see if there is a breakdown of the latch.

Another option is to buy a new latch assy. Here is a site link. These guys are great to deal with. Not a terrible price on the part either. Good Luck.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1998&fveh=3494

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looks like Fossil has you pointed in the right direction..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I had a similar problem with my 1500. I dropped the lid closed with something covering the slot over the latch. This did not allow the mechanism in the lid to drop down and grab the latch, and actually pushed it out of adjustment, thus not allowing the box to lock. In the lid there are two adjustable loops that drop down into the slo and are grabbed by the latch. I would use a screw driver,loosen one of these loops and re-tighten the screws. This will in essence make it longer and more likely to grab the latch when it closes. If it works on one side start readjusting both of them to achieve proper alignment.

I would at least try this before you buy a new latching assembly. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
calbigbird, you mention "grabbing the latch" I don't see anything that could grab the latch. Is it possible the part that retracts with the key is out of position and maybe turned? Both sides are the same. It seem there should be something that should protrude through the latch on the lid and secure it when it is lowered. There is no trim parts on the trunk.
thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a '98 GL1500 and the trunk will not latch down. :(
I'm new to the goldwing thing and don't even know where to start looking. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I don't have my 1500 any more, but based on your picture; when the lid is closed the loop in the lid pushes down on the raised part of the lock. As I recall, when that happens, the other part of the latch is released to grab the loop part in the lid. If the loop part in the lid does not protrude far enough into the latching mechanism, it won't release lock. You might take a small screw driver and push down on the raised latach and see if that releases the other latch in the trunk. (Can someone with a 1500 check out that theory?) Also, I think the other side of the trunk has a similar mechanism, you might check and see if they look and operate the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, both sides of the trunk are that same. when I lower the lid I can feel it contact the raised portion and feel it press down. Pressing on it with a screw driver does nothing that's what make me think the other lever is not functioning properly. I'm traveling for a week and will be looking for 1500s and try to see how theirs operate.. thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts