Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A minor frustration I guess, but I keep noticing paint chaffing off just under the trunk lid edges on my '08 1800, really surprised Honda would have produced a built in problem such as this, but it seems when the weather gasket on the lid begins to loose its thickness in normal use, it lets the lid edges eat/rub on the lower portion of the trunk. I don't use the trunk rack at all--but would like to be able to use it. This must be a common problem that somebody out there has dealth with successfully. Ideas??

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
This problem has been around for a long time, I don't remember if I had it on my 1200 but I know I had it on my 92 & 98 1500's. And on both my 1800. I put the soft side of velcrow on the nubs on the trunk and that kept the paint from rubbing off, some put clear fish tank or fuel line tubing into the rubber gasket that is attached to the trunk lid, that helps also, there is also a trunk support system you can buy, here is the link to that
http://www.wingriderproducts.com/

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Well there you go xhdrider. And I didn't even have to say it. These West Coast folks ( joe and WingStuff ) have the advantage of the time zone difference.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Yup, Wingstuff has the "stuff", Joe has the "answers". I haven't had the chaffing thing yet, but my bike's only two seasons old so we'll see.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The baby bumpers work but they make it hard to close the trunk. Most folks trim the top off a little so the trunk will close and the flashing trunk sign will go out, but they do work.
P.S. I don't have that problem anymore

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Take a look at this web site. This is what I did just after purchasing mine a year ago. Looks like it is still working.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1800trunklidfix.htm

It was an easy fix and cheap. Doesn't seem to make the trunk any harder to close.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
The most comon fix seems to be the fish tank hose method. I haven't seen any problems with my 09 yet, but it may just be a matter of time. If it starts I'll go the hose route...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the good inputs, I knew others had dealt with the problem and no doubt had solutions--so why reinvent the wheel! Probably will first reinforce the existing weather gasket with the tubing, when warm weather arrives. Best wishes to all for 2011

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have tried the idea presented here of using fish tank tubing inside the trunk gasket with poor results. The tubing was both too small a diameter and too soft. My next approach seems to be working well. I replaced the clear 3/16" OD fish tank tubing with 5/16" OD tubing from the hardware store. The 5/16 tubing has much thicker walls and seems to be able to do the job. I was not able to push it around the corners, so I made a slit in the casket in the middle of the rear portion, and pushed it in from that center point, to where the corner started and it would go no further. From the center of the gasket at the rear, I was able to push a piece of tubing 11.5" long to both the left and right, for a combined distance of 23" across the rear. The fish tank tubing remains in the front of the gasket for now. It appears the larger and harder plastic tubing is doing the job. The trunk lid does have a rack, but nothing has ever been carried on it, and still the paint on the sides of the lid and base has taken a beating.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The fish tubing is thin and will flatten over time. I used fuel line on my 02 and it worked fine. On my 08 I used the soft side of the Velcro

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
The fish tubing is thin and will flatten over time. I used fuel line on my 02 and it worked fine. On my 08 I used the soft side of the Velcro
I also used the fuel line and it is still working well over a year since installation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts