Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will run for 6-10 miles and then won't start for a couple hours. Will turn over but won't start. Has anyone had this experience? If so, how did you fix the problem?

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You could have a weak main fuse that when it heats up it opens and when it cools it makes contact.
You could also have a bad pulse generator that gets hot and the bike cuts out and refuses to start. I normally test them with 'Freeze Mist' for electronics, when the component is good and hot I spray the questionable part with this and if the bike starts, I found the problem.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello rvd, welcome to GWOF

·
Registered
470 Posts
What the other guys said; also, you may have a blocked vent in the fuel cap, try loosening the cap next time this happens, see if that makes any difference.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome RVD. Any luck with your glitch?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The engine turns over so it must not be the fuse. I've been told there are 2 pulse generators and it should run on 2 cylinders if it is one of them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is correct, the GL1200 can run on two cylinders. My 86 Aspencade was running on only two cylinders when I bought it, the left cylinder head valves were bent causing no compression at all. The bike will run on two cylinders but not have any power to move it up the slightest incline, just level ground. At least that was my experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know it's a year later, but maybe someone else has this problem. The same thing happened with my 1986 GL1200 Aspencade, would run for a while and then no ignition until it cooled down, tried coil pack, ignition module, drained fuel tank, replaced fuel pump. Turns out it was the crank sensor. A cheap part to replace, right on the front of the engine. Four wires connect up to where the fuze box connects on right side under tank covers. Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Durk : head over to the member and say G'day to everyone. Welcome to GWOF. Eric

1 - 10 of 10 Posts