Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new member, and all the reading I have been doing on these forums, I decided I would ask for your opinion.
I am 6ft 4 in tall. When sitting astride the wing (96 Aspencade w/trike conversion), my leg is straight level with my hips. At 71 years old, I have a difficult time raising my leg from the running board up over and into the position to get on the brake. As they lowered the 1500 by about two inches from the 1200 (which was the last one I owned and had no problem with the brake), I though I would have the driver portion of the seat raised by about 4 inches. This I believe would set me up high enough to more easily reach my leg up to the brake. Does this make sense? Is there some other possible solution. (I am already exercising three time a week to loosen up the joints, lol). What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had the same problem on my new 2012 .. a 5 minute adjust now allows me to simply swing my toe over.

·
Premium Member
16,740 Posts
Might give an Air Hawk cushion a try, might give you enoungh lift.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the same problem on my new 2012 .. a 5 minute adjust now allows me to simply swing my toe over.
If you are talking about moving the lever around a slot or two, I tried that. It hits the running board before it will make contact. It was higher than the brake foot peg, so I had the peg extended to make it level. That helped, but still no enough to be comfortable in a squeeze.
If you are talking about something else, what was the adjustment? I am willing to try anything to save the money.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I put the Kuryakyn floorboards and heel toe shifter on.

If my brake (right) side foot was flat on the floorboard, and I needed to brake, I would need to raise my entire foot up off the floorboard to find the brake lever. It was adjusted downward and that corrected the problem. Now I, basically, just need to use my heel to pivot my toe over to the brake lever. The brake lever was adjusted downward just short of flush with the floorboard.

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
hello jackpoet, welcome to GWOF

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put the Kuryakyn floorboards and heel toe shifter on.

If my brake (right) side foot was flat on the floorboard, and I needed to brake, I would need to raise my entire foot up off the floorboard to find the brake lever. It was adjusted downward and that corrected the problem. Now I, basically, just need to use my heel to pivot my toe over to the brake lever. The brake lever was adjusted downward just short of flush with the floorboard.
Hmmm, need to look at that. As I said, I tried to adjust the lever, but just one slot of movement made it bottom out on the runningboard. Maybe the Kuryakyn will allow for it to slip through and still grab brake pad. Thanks, am going to look at that.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Darn it. Kuryakyn don't have floorboards for the 1500. Looks like raising the seat by 4 inches might be the only out.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Might give an Air Hawk cushion a try, might give you enoungh lift.
Thanks Ron, I ordered me a pad and the wife a pad. But I don't think this will take care of it. Doesn't look like they are thick enough to be effective for my problem. But, they do look and sound comfortable.

·
Premium Member
24,641 Posts
Welcome Jack. What make of conversion have you got? Might help if someone else has had this issue previously

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome Jack. What make of conversion have you got? Might help if someone else has had this issue previously
It is a 1996 Aspencade with a 2011 Motor Trike conversion. The guy that extended my peg height says the conversion is what causes the brake being higher than the peg. Says he has seen it before. However, the problem is my age, weight and height. I have to lift my entire foot off of the runningboard up to the peg and brake pedal. We tried rotating the brake pedal. that did not work, as it bottomed out against the running board before engaging the brake solid.

I do know that the 1500 was lowered about 2 inches from the 1200. Therefore when my foot is on the running board, my hip to thigh is either level or just slightly on an upward angle. I have to lift my whole foot about 3 inches to the peg height and bring in the toe to reach the brake. Not too bad right at first, but after a couple of hours, becomes hard to do, therefor somewhat dangerous. Thought if I raised the seat level it would be easier to raise my foot. Not sure. I did sit on a piece of foam about 4 inches high on top of the seat and it seemed to help a lot. I looked at kuyurkan, but their floor board is for the 1800, could'nt find one for the 1500.

I do appreciate you all looking at this and trying to help.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Jack if you have never used an Airhark seat. They work best when they are almost flat. From my angle very comfy but will not raise you up much. If you put too much air in you tend to roll on it a bit. Eric

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jack if you have never used an Airhark seat. They work best when they are almost flat. From my angle very comfy but will not raise you up much. If you put too much air in you tend to roll on it a bit. Eric
Thanks Eric, no I have never used one, but from the description, I didn't think it would raise me much. I am going tommorrow to see a man about raising my drivers seat about 3-4 inches, leaving the passenger as is. I hope this will work for me. I just can't figure out any other solution.

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
16,740 Posts
Jack; look a round for some markland low boy boards or their adjustable two position boards. They aren't made anymore but you might be able to find some used ones. I have the adjustable ones on my 93 aspencade (not triked)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jack; look a round for some markland low boy boards or their adjustable two position boards. They aren't made anymore but you might be able to find some used ones. I have the adjustable ones on my 93 aspencade (not triked)
Thanks Ron, I will go look on line now to see if I can find some used ones. Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, here goes. I have a motorcycle shop here in town. I had asked him about raising the seat, he said no problem. He is the one who raised the peg for the brake pedal. I took the motor down today to talk with him. He said he could do the seat like I ask, but he recommended that he make me a brake pedal that would go to the front of the floorboard, so I can reach with my toe. We are taking off the roll bars, as I hate these anyway, and making a special bracket for my highway pegs. Says he can do this for less than the seat, and feels like it would do the job much better. So I said ok. Am giving it to him Friday, will keep it about a week. Chroming takes some time. The fabricating of the brake pedal and special highway pegs he can do in one day. Then he has to send them out for chrome. That will take 4 or days. Don't know how I can stand that. Will have to go down and visit her everyday I guess. Anyway, will let you know how it works.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Well, here goes. I have a motorcycle shop here in town. I had asked him about raising the seat, he said no problem. He is the one who raised the peg for the brake pedal. I took the motor down today to talk with him. He said he could do the seat like I ask, but he recommended that he make me a brake pedal that would go to the front of the floorboard, so I can reach with my toe. We are taking off the roll bars, as I hate these anyway, and making a special bracket for my highway pegs. Says he can do this for less than the seat, and feels like it would do the job much better. So I said ok. Am giving it to him Friday, will keep it about a week. Chroming takes some time. The fabricating of the brake pedal and special highway pegs he can do in one day. Then he has to send them out for chrome. That will take 4 or days. Don't know how I can stand that. Will have to go down and visit her everyday I guess. Anyway, will let you know how it works.
Thanks for the up date to how you were going. Eric

·
Premium Member
16,740 Posts
I hope you'll be able to post some pictures when it's done. It would really be interesting to see the finished product.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Nice looking bike Jack, might that be the teal green? Want to share some pics? I just bought a teal green 95 GL 1500 this weekend. Debbie and I drove from Tyler, Tx about 850 miles west to Deming, New Mexico to pick it up.

Dan

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.