Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the HealTech Gear Indicator. According to HealTech and one of it's distributors here in the USA, the model for my 2005 GL1800 is the GPXT-GPX-H01.
I disagreed from the very beginning that it was not the right model for my bike but they insist. Well I get it and sure enough, like many others that have installed their Gear Indicator, this one will not plug into the DLC or Red connector under the seat. It is not a plug and play unit like I was suppose to believe. Instead it connects to the Speed Sensor which I believe is on the right side of the engine but I'm not sure where that connector is. It also has to be spliced into the ECM Yellow wire with green stripe that goes to the Tachometer. Does anyone have a picture or know exactly where to find the Speed Sensor Connector? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Crud....

I screwed up. You are talking about a Gear Indicator and here I am talking about a Speedometer Corrector. I'm so sorry.

Reactions: Jinx

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Michael. Are you sure that will fit my 2005? I hate to splice into the ECM wire. But, if I must....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Crud....

I screwed up. You are talking about a Gear Indicator and here I am talking about a Speedometer Corrector. I'm so sorry.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I saw the word Healtech and I automatically (and erroneously) started thinking about the speedometer corrector that they manufacture.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the Gear Indicator. As to cutting into your ECM wiring, there should be a better way to connect to their device. But, I guess they know their tech and tapping off a wire to the ECM is probably their idea of a proper way to do it.

Good luck Tim. I'm sure you will get it figured out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I purchased the HealTech Gear Indicator. According to HealTech and one of it's distributors here in the USA, the model for my 2005 GL1800 is the GPXT-GPX-H01.
I disagreed from the very beginning that it was not the right model for my bike but they insist. Well I get it and sure enough, like many others that have installed their Gear Indicator, this one will not plug into the DLC or Red connector under the seat. It is not a plug and play unit like I was suppose to believe. Instead it connects to the Speed Sensor which I believe is on the right side of the engine but I'm not sure where that connector is. It also has to be spliced into the ECM Yellow wire with green stripe that goes to the Tachometer. Does anyone have a picture or know exactly where to find the Speed Sensor Connector? Thank you in advance.
Mine plugs into the connector under the seats. I have a 2015 Wing. I would have thought they'd be the same. The instructions say it is for 2005 to 2010 and is Model GPDS-H02. Works on my 2015 just fine

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slowrollin, even HealTech confirms the item I got …-H01 is the correct item for my bike which backs up Podium Superbike sending me what they did.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MichaelB. I see you are from Tacoma, WA. I am from Seattle, now living in San Antonio where I retired to after 24 years with Uncle Sam's Air Force. I have ridden Goldwings (dif models) from here to there and bike a couple times. May go again later this summer. My sister still lives up there.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Slowrollin, even HealTech confirms the item I got …-H01 is the correct item for my bike which backs up Podium Superbike sending me what they did.
I'm stumped. I think I got mine directly from Healtech about 3 years ago. Maybe get the H02 and try it, Make them buy back the H01 if it works? If you need me to take my seat of and take pictures of the connections to show them or anything, I will.

·
Registered
80 Posts
MichaelB. I see you are from Tacoma, WA. I am from Seattle, now living in San Antonio where I retired to after 24 years with Uncle Sam's Air Force. I have ridden Goldwings (dif models) from here to there and bike a couple times. May go again later this summer. My sister still lives up there.
Hey brother. Been to San Antonio a couple three times. I prefer the northwest. Wet but mild summers and winters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question bro,

I have a 2005 GL1800 ABS

My ECM 38770-MCA-A41 burnt beyond repair.
Some say I use several different ECM from any 2001-2005 GL1800 A
First: is to know if this is true.
Second: from a 2006-2010 ECM would be an upgrade Oris the programming in those far off to be used in a 2005 ?

Skull Riders☠

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm not totally up on the ECM's but I don't believe that later model ECM's will even fit the 2005.
If you are going to replace the ECM, I'd suggest buying a new one that is made for your model and year. Any thing you may get that is used is suspect, unless you personally know the motorcyle it came from and it is the same year and model.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SlowRollin, Yes I saw the same thing on a web site. But they insist the H01 is for the 2005. The whole thing comes in two Ziploc type bags. The H01 by itself with the connectors all attached. The GPX is the LED with a wired connector that connects to the H01. I also had an email from HealTech the other day and they said that maybe I could try the H02 to connect. But, they won't guarantee. I think I may be able to purchase that one item of the two separately and if it works, send the other back. I don't want to tear into the bike until I know for sure what works.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don’t know why Healtech and so many other companies keep getting this wrong. The 01-05 ECMs are not the same as the 06 and later year ECMs and the port connector on them is not the same. The 01-05 ECM has 3 connectors on it for the bike’s harnesses and the DLC port is very simple. The 06 and later ECM has only 2 connectors for the bike’s harnesses and the DLC connector is close, but different from the 5 earlier model years.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for many suggestions on this subject. Here is an update. HealTech-Electronics no longer makes the Gear Position Indicator model for the 2005 Goldwing which plugs into the Red connector under the seat. The one I bought (GPXT-GPX-H01) is newer and plugs into the Speed Sensor White 3 pin plug just under the right side pocket. But to get to it, I had to take off the top shelter for that connector and routing the Green with black stripe wire to the ECM. I spliced the wire to the Yellow/green stripe wire making a connector so as to be able to disconnect when the time is needed. The unit works great and I chose the Red LED which is really bright with it's default setting.

My new question for those who have put such things behind the speaker grill is how do I attach the LED readout behind the speaker grill. What do others use to make this happen. Pressing the unit to the grill indicates that it can be easily seen. But, I have no clue how to attach the face to the backside of the grill.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you really want it on the backside of the grill, leave plenty of slack in the wire, and get some black 3M "Dual Lock Velcro", the hard kind that's used on toll transponders. You won't need much, because that stuff will stick deer guts to a door handle. Place two small strips up the sides of the gear indicator, and similar strips on the inside of the speaker grill, spaced just far apart to let the gear indicator nest inside them. Then, bend longer strips into an "L" and stick one leg to the sides of the indicator and the other leg to the strips on the back of the speaker grill.

You could probably use regular Velcro, but the adhesive usually isn't as strong, and the Dual Lock stuff locks together rigidly to resist vibration, and is still reusable.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I taped it to the backside of the speaker grill and went for a ride in the bright Texas Sun. It was hard to differentiate between the 2 and 3 LED numbers and of course 4 and 5 were not complete. So, I decided to Velcro the thing to my Speedometer glass over the 120-140 mph numbers. I don't think, I will ever be going that fast since I think I had it topped out at 122 just to see how fast. Actually, I don't like going over 80ish. I had a scary moment way back in the 74' riding a CB 650 at 75 and blew a rear tire. It was pretty scary trying to get off the road and stopped.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts