Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to take a 3-4 day trip west/southwest of central IL., in the next 8 days. Preferably 2 lane, any route or must sees? Looking to camp some or hotel (depending on weather).

·
Registered
288 Posts
Cross over into Missouri and there are plenty of great roads. Only enjoyable ride I have had in IL was to Chester and it was good because of the food at Reid’s Harvest House

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
I did a couple of days riding the Red Ghost around the Shenandoah National Forest. I also camped there. It resembles the Black Hills somewhat and is worth a look-see. Be careful if you get off of the main roads. They are tar and chip construction. When I was there the loose chipped gravel was thick and I hit one spot where it was piled about 8" deep across the whole road. Pucker time.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well my riding partner has canceled, so I’ve decided to try this route instead, I’ll still leave from and return to central IL, thoughts?

That is a great ride. I took it 3 years ago. Camping on the shore of Lake Superior was the highlight. A lot of the roads you will travel are rough riding but it was a great trip. If you do the tunnel of trees make sure you watch for sand in the curves. :surprise:

And read up on the Mackinac bridge if you have never ridden on it. The outer lanes are closed for construction a lot of times which means you ride 5 miles of steel grate while being buffeted by strong winds.

I would do it again though.

·
Super Moderator
15,090 Posts
there is plenty to see on route 66 through IL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it turns out the original trip is on still, We are gonna head south to Memphis then over to Hotsprings AR, and after that we could use some suggestions thank you to everyone that has posted already

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Glad your original trip is still on. Going through the Chicago area any time of day or night can put you in stop-and-go traffic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts