Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I'm planning on taking a 10 day trip the carolinas in a few weeks and a 23 day cross country (Florida to California via the Dakotas and Montana) in the last week of august and part of september. I just had a trailer hitch installed and was planning on using a trailer however tonight I attended an event and was told not to take the trailer as it would be a much easier and enjoyable ride without it. what are you thoughts.? was also told to put a car tire on the wing, no to sure about that idea?

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Wish I could take that trip with you!

I lived in North Carolina for 10 years and rode all over the Southeast. Great riding in your area. The Blue Ridge Parkway remains my favorite, second is the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia.

Contrary to the popular opinion, there is plenty of good riding in the Midwest, especially in river valleys. One of my favorites is only 10 miles from my home, the St. Croix River valley. The eastern Dakotas ain't much to look at unless you like looking at crops, but The West begins when you cross the Missouri River. Let's talk. I'm headed that way myself before too long.

Ride safe!

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Two up camping? Pull the trailer. If running solo, there is enough room on the bike for your gear to moto-camp. I pulled my trailer from Seattle to Phoenix last April two up. Enough room for all the stuff that makes camping enjoyable.

Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Devils Tower, Custer's Battle Field and there are a couple of national park caves in the Black Hills.

Bear tooth highway going into Yellowstone. Lolo pass going across Idaho.

Don't miss the National Parks in southern Utah and the Grand Canyon.

Glacier National Park in northern Montana.

On yea. the car tire question. that is a personal choice. However, if you are riding from Florida to South Dakota, then down to California and then back to Florida. Quick math says that is 8,000 mile trip. Leave town with new tires no matter what.

At 8,000 miles you are going to average 350 a day. Setting up and taking down camp.... preparing food and sightseeing.... you might need some additional time.

Yellowstone is a two day minimum.
Black Hills is a two day deal.
Glacier takes a day extra to get there and get through.
Devils Tower is not that far off the route.
One can spend a week in Utah and Arizona easy.

Crater Lake in Oregon is worth seeing.... but then.... so is Mt. St. Helens.
both of those shows the power of the earth.
Remember, that Yellowstone is a super Volcano that blew its top back in the day.
Crater Lake blew out the whole volcano, and mt st helens threw half the mountain 20 miles and knocked over every tree for 25 miles.

I would suggest that you pick a few things and try to spend some time hanging out rather than trying to do em all.

Remember, the goal is fun not a marathon. So have fun!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I wish I could make a trip like you are planning but my back prevents it. perhaps you could post some pictures when you get back. Do you have a group that you ride with (in state)? Sometimes I ride with the MSTA group. I tried the Goldwing Group and showed up to a meeting and there was only two Wings there and mine was one of them
the kicker is there was over thirty members at the meeting :confused:
Let me know if you are up to some in state riding as I live near by.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'd be pulling a trailer for a ten day trip. With you heading out late Aug./ early Sept. you can and probaly will run into a wide range of temperatures and trying to pack for the heat and a possible cold weather journey can be challenging. Most times you will not even know a trailer is behind you and I pulled mine through the Blue Ridge Parkway and freeway bopped to Key West with no problems.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I don't trailer anymore, but I did a lot of it with my 1200 and 1500 Wings, nearly 100% of the time actually. I'd say go for it!

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
I know a lot of people who pull trailers with their wings. Personally I like the rig Fossil has as it lets you carry extra stuff without the extra wheels.

But right now I have neither. With the wife we stay at motels. We can bring enough for 4 - 5 days and I promised her that I would do laundry when she thought is was needed. By myself I hope to camp some and that gear can go behind me on the seat in a big duffle bag.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think Chopin114 uses a car tire on his, even a pic of it on his signature. you should drop by and ask him the pros and cons.
Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts