Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fossil92 or anyone. Kinday newbe here to road trips. In October I bought a '95 Aspy 27K and planning a trip from here in the Missouri Ozarks to Sacremento California next year.
If you don't mind can you help here with a couple of questions:
1. Reseach and visiting tells me to plan about 300 miles per day?
2. Are there any big problems with planning to camp, planning this mostly because of money?
3. What is on your list of "always take items" both for yourself and your GW?

I'm very much of offense guy; don't like suprises if I can plan ahead.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Carl, I know myself I have a trip planned as well for next year. If you search my posts I even have a map posted.

1. I figure I'm going to have to do some 600 mile days to cover ground but 300 is real nice if you have the time for it.
2. We aren't planning on camping (my idea of roughing it is when the Hotel doesn't have a breakfast) however I wouldn't think you would have any issues. Just look for reputable campgrounds. If you are a member of AAA they even have camping books for the States you will visit.
3.Essentials for riders 2-pair of boots, raingear, cold weather gear, first aid kit, reading glasses (we're old) as much clothing as you can pack & of course Helmets.
For bike tool kit with more that Honda gives I like a Leatherman because it's versatile, Visegrips regular & needlenose, diagonal cutters, flashlight, airhose for on board compressor (if you have one) air pressure guage, bike cover, duct tape (great repair item), cable ties (Ditto), tire plug kit, spare fuel filter, a sparkplug or two, sparefuses, GPS (even if its not mounted, mine isn't) & electrical tape. There are probably some I'm leaving out right now if I remember any others I'll let you know.

Good Luck and maybe we'll see you on the road.:D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Carl and great ideas fossil. I'm planning to do some solo short camping trips next year and I googled something like "motorcycle camping". Found quite a few helpful sites and articles - some very specific to camping. On one I printed off a list of things to at least consider when going on a bike road trip which is posted on the door of the little room where I keep my bike paraphenalia. Have a safe trip next year. Incidentally, what kind on tent do you have? I just picked up a new coleman which I hope won't be too bulky.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poncho Ramrod
I think I may buy a Holligan tent by Coleman, inexpensive and one man.
Is it possible to post your "list of things" or link me to the site?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Camp

I would just go 'John Wayne' style and just use a sleeping bag and a good Bowie knife for protection. The less things you bring - the less you have to worry about.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey Commander, where I usually ride a bowie knife is only good for buttering your bread and protection means a tent that won't blow away in the wind and rain :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trip Lists

Thanks Poncho, I did find some of those sites. In fact I was going to post the links for others to use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts