Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using the Classic version of Mapquest for years , but don't like the new "upgraded" version.The Honda trip site doesn't seem much better. I do like the old fashion paper maps, but a bit difficult to download to GPS. My question is , what map site are folks using for trip planning ?

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I use Google Maps or Mapquest.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Google maps is the best, what is nice is after you put in starting point and destination and it calculates the map you can then tweak the map if you want to change a part of the route by just clicking and dragging that part of the map to the road you prefer.

Google Maps also doesn't take way out of your way to get from here to there like Mapquest does.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I prefer google maps as well, and like the topographic & satellite options.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
Streets and trips-love it

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I am technology challenged but would like to down load to a GPS. How do you do this and and is there a particular GPS you need? I have an 08 but realize that I would have to have another GPS to make this work.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
For the older bikes or those who are cheap a$$es like me, I put my gps in the trunk. This isn't the magic fix for the wing. If I am using a gps, then I am in unfamiliar territory and wanting to concentrate on driving, so I don't want listen to anything else at that time. I have altec stereo earbuds. Just had a gps crap out so I am getting ready test out the new tom-tom go 630. It has all the things I wanted - calls out the street names, lane assist for advance notice of a turn and I can speak an address to make it start giving me directions.
The bluetooth keeps me connected to it and it keeps dry in the trunk.. Already have a plug mounted. The yet to try out new thing wil be if I can speak an addy while driving. Not sure about the wind noise. Worst case, I pull over to talk to it. Ecost referb $45.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
I usually start by using Google (prefered) or Bing on the 'puter, Get it sorted out Then either print it or switch to good ole Rand & hit the road.

Lots of times I even just take a road that looks good & watch the path of the sun.

Have a GPS that hasn't been turned on in over a year, hmmm. Why do I still have it????:confused:

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I have a GPS that hasn't been turned on in over a year, hmmm. Why do I still have it????:confused:
Same here....I keep mine just in case I "may" use it.:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Gps

I, too, have a gps... I use mine all the time... Came to forefront when my daughter asked how to get to the Italian Fest in downtown Cleveland. Had all the Ohio maps, but not one showed the address, like 1234 Main St. Hmmm, maps have their place, like getting in the vicinity of a location, but difficult to carry enough maps to pinpoint something. But, the main use for my GPS, once the boss and I are done riding for the day, I simply hit, "HOME" and it gets me here. I don't have to worry about which way I came, which roads I turned on, or even which direction I am headed. Nice to be able to find a gas station if I get too involved with riding instead of watching the gauges. And, nothing beats finding the closest McDondals for a warm cup of coffee.
Maps will always have a place, the GPS just makes sense once in a while. :)

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Originally posted by L2R but removed for content.......
Too late C4, I already read the original..jhahahahah

U should put it back, it does look and sound like me.

I well remember my grandma wore those knee high hose and I didn't get for the longest time.
I now wear pantyhose around the house now too. :)
Wearing them just below knee makes all the sense in the world.
The remote is always handy as is the phone and there is still room for a snack. I usually pack a banana.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

1 - 14 of 14 Posts