Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did it or should I say am soon to trike my 95 Aspencade. After spending thousands of dollars on the access road to my property and still not feeling comfortable riding on it, I'm triking my bike for the stability. My road is a half mile long and it's costing me $30 a ft. to improve as we've only put a small dent in the needed improvements. Presently I cannot ride out with my wife as she has to drive out to the end of the road due to the deep sand and gravel making it too treacherous to navigate with a passenger. I've had to trailer the bike out also just to ride it. Deb also feels good about this decision too.

I've decided to go with the Tow Pac Insta Trike kit so I can remove when I want to ride 2 wheels. I found one for sale up near Chicago in Downs, Illinois as I'll be heading up there in January to have it installed and ride it back to Texas.

I'll keep you all posted on this upgrade and include a rider review of the Tow Pac Insta Trike kit once it all comes together. Funny, it's been nearly a year now since heading out to New Mexico to pick up my Wing when I bought it.

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
Wow, just wow. It's not like you've ever dropped it on your road. ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
You'll enjoy the trike and wonder why you hadn't done it sooner.
:)

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, just wow. It's not like you've ever dropped it on your road. ;)
4 drops, 3 in one day and 2 pulled hamstrings got my attention Kerry. The hill is topped with crushed recycled concrete and when I ride down the hill it's like riding on rolling marbles (very unsettling). Just decided the worry and stress of dropping it again just isn't worth it.

Valerie, I hope I like it too. Nice thing though, I can go back and forth between trike and 2 wheels.

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
I know, I remember your posts. I think I'd have done it a lot sooner! :eek:

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
You gotta do what's right for you. We have friends in Montana that live 12 miles on the paved road and have kept their wing in town in a friends Airplane hanger for years. No shame there, what's right for you is right for you.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Cheers to you for your decision Dan. Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
hello dan, welcome to GWTOF :)
chicago in january? you might want to trailer your new trike home

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hello dan, welcome to GWTOF :)
chicago in january? you might want to trailer your new trike home
You may be right Doc seeing that old man winter is finally hitting you guys up north. Guess it depends on how patient I am as the seller is willing to wait if need me. Downs, Illinois is about half way between St. Louis and Chicago so it's not real close to the Windy City. I hope to ride it though as 850 miles back to Texas ought to give me some time in the saddle to acclimate to the new riding dynamics.

Thanks Daryl and Lee, I'll stay with the rear only darkside for now because I can transform the bike back and forth from trike to a 2 wheeler. And Ron, I thought about renting a shop or storage facility in town but it seems to interfere with the spontaneity of jumping on the bike to do an errand or take a short ride to town. Besides I hate bills and the less overhead I have the happier I am. :D

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
You need to do what is right for you but I think that you will miss leaning into the turns. Is the insta-trike kit easy to take off and put on? Can it be done in 15 minutes?

I can see the value in having a trike at times and if it is really easy and quick to convert it back and forth then I may consider it eventually myself but given a choice of one or the other, I'll take 2 wheels.
JMHO

·
Super Moderator
9,992 Posts
Sounds like you have made a wise decision. Best of both worlds. Let us know how you like it.

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You need to do what is right for you but I think that you will miss leaning into the turns. Is the insta-trike kit easy to take off and put on? Can it be done in 15 minutes?

I can see the value in having a trike at times and if it is really easy and quick to convert it back and forth then I may consider it eventually myself but given a choice of one or the other, I'll take 2 wheels.
JMHO
Steve, some say 5 min. and other's 15 to remove or re-install. I've seen the video's and it looks easy to do. I won't be giving up 2 wheels. It's not a permanent conversion which is great for re-sale as bike can be re-sold as a motorcycle and the trike kits are easy to sell and hold their value. New they're about 5k new but I found nearly new for 2k. I could easily get my money back out of it. If you want to try mine once I get it back to Texas we could get together with Randy for a ride.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
You may be right Doc seeing that old man winter is finally hitting you guys up north. Guess it depends on how patient I am as the seller is willing to wait if need me. Downs, Illinois is about half way between St. Louis and Chicago so it's not real close to the Windy City. I hope to ride it though as 850 miles back to Texas ought to give me some time in the saddle to acclimate to the new riding dynamics.

Thanks Daryl and Lee, I'll stay with the rear only darkside for now because I can transform the bike back and forth from trike to a 2 wheeler. And Ron, I thought about renting a shop or storage facility in town but it seems to interfere with the spontaneity of jumping on the bike to do an errand or take a short ride to town. Besides I hate bills and the less overhead I have the happier I am. :D
its still winter, snowy and cold in that area, got any heated gear

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I think you made a good decision Dan. I know the guy you are getting the tow pac from and I know the tow pac. It is in great shape and the price is right. I got my first tow pac from him for my 1500. I went to his place in mid winter and yes the roads are bad when they have ice and snow on them. I took my pickup truck and loaded it in the back. I was glad I did because it would have been a nightmare riding the wing there at that time of the year.

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
its still winter, snowy and cold in that area, got any heated gear
Our very own BentWing/Randy has offered to loan me his Gerbing gloves. If I ride up perhaps a heated vest may be good advice too. Of course driving up and trailering it back is an option which would give Deb and I a rode trip up north together.

Yes Jerry, you know Jerry too aka Ghostrider from the Saunders site, the seller of the Tow Pac. I guess Jerry installed for you too? I would love to ride it back and hone my skills over 850 miles but winter weather is the prime mover here.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
850 miles most of which will be in cold and likely snowy weather, do take the wife on a road trip in whatever you are pulling the trailer with. tornado alley can have some wicked winter storms

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
850 miles most of which will be in cold and likely snowy weather, do take the wife on a road trip in whatever you are pulling the trailer with. tornado alley can have some wicked winter storms
Good advice Doc. Trailering the Wing is perhaps the better option given the location and time of year. Riding the Wing on snow would be a hoot though; at least in the driveway. :p

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
Good advice Doc. Trailering the Wing is perhaps the better option given the location and time of year. Riding the Wing on snow would be a hoot though; at least in the driveway. :p
it sounds like fun and you can be the first in th IbMWITS club :D
i burried my wing in the snow !!:eek:

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it sounds like fun and you can be the first in th IbMWITS club :D
i burried my wing in the snow !!:eek:
For real Doc? If it's going to happen it will have to be up in your neck of the woods. Hardly ever snows here, just a white dusting sometimes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts