Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there had their Wing converted to a trike and regretted their decision, if so, what were the reasons for the regrets.

·
Registered
363 Posts
As you can see by the photo in my signature, my wing has been triked and I'm extremely happy and satisfied with the conversion.

What I can tell you regarding your question, is that in all of the forums that I've visited over the years, I can honestly say that I don't remember one person ever saying that they regretted converting to 3 wheels. Most of the comments mentioned that they wished they hadn't waited so long to make the switch.

Just an FYI. :doublethumb:

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
After you have it, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I do not consider that "typical" of my Hannigan conversion!
I average 35 to 39 depending on 1up, 2up and how I'm loaded.
How many miles on yours? Have you changed plugs recently?
I am easy on the throttle and hardly ever ride the I-states, so my lower speeds may be why I get the mileage I do.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
My trike is not a full conversion but an outrigger type that can be removed in a few minutes, converting back to 2 wheels. I'm extremely happy with my Tow Pac and have never regretted doing this modification. The trade off for the stability of a trike is a bit more road vibration being transmitted through extra wheels, more difficulty dodging pot holes and road debris and greater steering effort. Some of these things can be addressed such as suspension adjustment, tire pressures and if it has a rake kit for easier steering. It also takes about 1000 miles of riding one to get comfortable and proficient with it.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Converted my 1500 to a Lehman and it lasted me a single season before it went bye bye. Wasn't just me, herself didn't like it at all. Handled great, looked cool, but it just wasn't a bike anymore (for me). Missus hated the choppy ride difference after the cushy Wing luxury. Lots of side to side chatter and just plain jittery for her in the back. I never rode pillion on it so I can't agree or disagree. But I've learned long ago to trust her judgement. June 6, 1981 to be exact. The rest as they say, is history.:loco::icon_smile_dead:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Personally a trike is the only way I'll ride 2up.

However....I still love 2 wheels too for 1up riding on curvy roads (lots of them around here.) But yes, the stability and ease of keeping it upright are big plusses. But the "work" on curvy roads vs. the fun of leaning a 2 wheeler into the curve is a drawback.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Interesting comment on the Lehman. I am not singling out Lehman, nor anybody that owns one and likes it.
When I was deciding on brand and type, it became very clear, very quickly that a SA was not going to be my choice!
One ride on a IRS brand that extended the wheel base was all it took to start "looking" at available IRS conversions.
Wife and I visited one manufacturer of our final choices. We were given a new Wing with that conversion on it to ride, "Just try to be back by 5P. That's when we normally close.(It was 11am at the time!).
About 5 miles into the ride, wife leaned up and said, "This is the one isn't it?".
'nough said!
Only other question to the manager of that plant was, "Which one of your installers in my area would you pick to do the install?"
That was nearing 3 years ago now and we are still more amazed almost every time we ride, just how smooth this conversion is!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.