Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am looking to buy and import a goldwing 1800 with a trike kit fitted into Australia. The problem we have in Australia is that the bike and kit have to come in under 450 kg. [we have some strange laws here.] The trike kits come in at around 163 kg.

I have done as much research as I can to find the weight of the kits etc and so far have found that a goldwing with a trike kit weighs in around 490 ks. The importers have asked if there is any way we can remove nonessential parts to lighten the unit by 40 kg, I have no idea what the top boxes weigh etc and was wondering if anyone has a trike kit fitted, can they tell me the weight of their bike at the moment etc. I will just put the parts back on after its get through the import areas etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mel

·
Registered
30 Posts
Aussie rules

There are 2.2046 pounds in a kilogram so your trike cannot exceed 992 pounds.

My guess is that the total weight of your trike depending on what kit is used would be around 1,100 pounds, so you have to pare off over 100 pounds somewhere. The back case will probably get you about 25-30 pounds when it is removed, so you still have 75 or so pounds to find.

It may be easier to lobby to have the law changed.

Why would the regulations insist on a minimum weight?

rickrae

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Can you not split your shipments so that the trike kit comes in either earlier or after the bike?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts