Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just triked my 1800(california sidecar) and I'm going to have to replace my front tire shortly(stock front end) any suggestions on brand etc.? Thanks Scott

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome to the site fixingbus. I'd do some research into the sidewall construction and carcass build of front tyres since the steering forces on a trike are different than on a two wheeler. This is trike lady's domain, so maybe she can let you know what most of her experience has taught her. My guess is the stiffer the sidewall the better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Trike tire

Any responses would be of interest to me as well.

I was told that a number of trike riders have replaced the front with a regular automobile tire with good success.

So, any light that could be shed on this topic would be welcome.

rickrae

·
Registered
30 Posts
Car tire on front

This thread didn't get a lot of response so I visited an area Trike shop this morning and asked the same questions.

The response makes sense so I will answer one of my own questions.

You can replace the motorcycle front tire with an automobile tire and you can gain additional mileage on the tire. Somewhere from 7-9,000 miles up to 12,000-14,000 with the auto tire.

But you lose the trike's ability to turn and react quickly because the contact patch on the car tire is so much bigger. The motorcycle tire is rounded and has a smaller contact patch making it easy to steer. In fact, changing to a car tire would have the effect of defeating the purpose of an easy-steer rake kit on a trike.

So, I guess when it comes time to change the tire I will stay with one designed for a motorcycle.

rickrae

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
rickrae,
The only front end that will allow you to use a car tire is from 'Eurowing Trikes.

Fixingbus,
Most people are using the Michelin Pilot Activ and running it backwards and getting good results. It's a 'sportbike' rear tire. I'm currently testing a Dunlop E3 Bias-ply.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wore the E3 on my Trike out fairly quickly. I found from another site where they suggested the Michelin Pilot Active Rear tire. The service manager at the honda shop I use knew about this but suggested mounting it frontward as opposed to reverse. Which I did.

So I used the MPA on my trike but way too early to see about milage. I cant tell any difference in handling. The MPA was about $40 cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I wore the E3 on my Trike out fairly quickly. I found from another site where they suggested the Michelin Pilot Active Rear tire. The service manager at the honda shop I use knew about this but suggested mounting it frontward as opposed to reverse. Which I did.

So I used the MPA on my trike but way too early to see about milage. I cant tell any difference in handling. The MPA was about $40 cheaper.
Were you running the E3 Radial or Bias ply on your trike? I'm working with the Bias ply on my 1500. Some are trying the Bridgestone Batllax BT-45, I am still waiting on their thoughts on it.
More trikers prefer the Michelin Pilot Active, most have mounted it backwards and some are trying forward.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Trikelady, I had the E3 radial. I replaced both front and rear at 27,000, Triked it at 33,000 leaving the E3 on. The E3 looked in good condition then but wore the middle of the tread out quickly as I used it. I replaced the E3 with the MPA at 39K.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Trikelady, I had the E3 radial. I replaced both front and rear at 27,000, Triked it at 33,000 leaving the E3 on. The E3 looked in good condition then but wore the middle of the tread out quickly as I used it. I replaced the E3 with the MPA at 39K.
Thank you for your input on the E3, I'm trying to collect data from trike owners who've changed their front tire to a rear tire and what brand with their results.
I see more people going for the MPA tire and good results.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Just a quick question, why run the tire reversed!!

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
It's a rear tire for a sportbike and the tire gets reversed for stoping, starting and handling reasons. Some people do run them the correct rotation too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
TRike front tire

Just triked my 1800(california sidecar) and I'm going to have to replace my front tire shortly(stock front end) any suggestions on brand etc.? Thanks Scott
Scott, I have a CSC cobra a '10 and got 5,000 miles out of the stock Dunlop before the center wore down to the replace lines. I've just replaced it with a Bridgestone Excedra that several trike owners have indicated they've been getting 25 to 30.000 miles out of. I've inflated it to the same 41lbs as the Dunlop but it rides a lot harder than the Dunlop so it probably will go the 25K. Don't have many miles on it now but will advise when I do. Hope this helps. Search all the forums as I did before buying the Bridgestone and you'll get some ideas. Central Oregon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update, Got 9,000 miles out of the Excedra Bridgstone and went to the MPA Bias Ply tire 130/70/18 Harder than a rock got a flat and rimcut the tire so no I'm going to try the Bridgstone BT45 and see if it's any better. I'm sure the MPA will go 25k MILES IT HAS TO IT'S SO HARD. I'll keep you informed of the ride. I was running the MPA at 41lbs. It was O.K. after it warmed up but I live in the frozen north. Took too long to warm up the tire. If the Stone isn't any better than the MPA I think I'll go back to a radial. Have progressive springs in the front forks with 7wt oil. FRont forks seem good but the tires has loosened the crowns on my teeth. We'll see???

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
If you're going that route I'd recommend a BT023 or a Michelin Pilot 2 (sport touring tires) instead. Better tread life and great handling; use the BT023's on my RC51 and they're terrific.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bias Ply front tires.

Budoka, Thanks for the tip but I have a Trike. Radials don't do well on the front of a trike. Sorry for the confusion. I didn't make my self clear. OOPS!

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Hehe, Oregon isn't that far north nor is it that frozen! Any sport touring bias ply rear reversed on the front of your trike should do you well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
rickrae,
The only front end that will allow you to use a car tire is from 'Eurowing Trikes.

Fixingbus,
Most people are using the Michelin Pilot Activ and running it backwards and getting good results. It's a 'sportbike' rear tire. I'm currently testing a Dunlop E3 Bias-ply.
I put on a Vattlax BT45 May of 2013. Forward. The dealere would not put it on in reverse. 23,000 miles, 6 years and 11 months. The sidewalls are cracking and probably have been for some time. Still got decent tread left.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Man, what's a person to do.... Triked my GW 1800 in 2013. Front tire shows cracks in the sides and the tread. Needs a tire. It's a Michelin on it now 130 / 70 R18 R.
100/80H/8 battleax recommended.

Recommendations please...

Thanks for the help.
Goldwing258.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts