Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fear if I start this thread that self talk will convince me to convert my Wing to a Trike. And if I don't talk myself into it, you will.:). So here's my story.

I live in the country and the dirt/ sand road to my house is treacherous to ride on with the Wing. I've ridden on this road many times with Wings and Maxi Scooters and have never had a problem until yesterday and today. I've dropped my Wing 3 times in 24 hours and have a leg gash and 2 pulled hamstrings. The road is in pretty rough shape but I got used to it, or I thought I had. Road gets fixed next week but we've lived here 13 years and the long hill we have never lasts very long because moving water downhill is erosive. So, I'm entertaining the idea of a trike just so I can get in and out of our property. On the hard top I have no problem with 2 wheels.

My budget does not include a full conversion like the Motor Trike which is only 10 miles from my home. Looking at Voyager and Tow Pac. Any one want to share their thoughts and conversions here?

·
Super Moderator
7,638 Posts
Photos of what the Voyager consists of.
Try it, you'll like it and once you have a trike of any type you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
I bought my "triked" (Voyager kit) GL1500 for 2-up riding with my wife. She likes to move around on the passenger seat and with a trike, she can do that. Plus, pulling a trailer with a trike is virtually child's play. For 2-wheelin' fun, I have an older Harley Ultra Classic that I'd never trike... because it doesn't have reverse :)

Having never tried out my GL1500 on just 2 wheels, I am *this* close to removing the kit to see what it's like.

As for the trike... the ride is rougher on less than ideal roads than being on 2-wheels; you have to learn to muscle a trike on turns and bends as there is no leaning... at least not much - and for what little there is, you're leaning opposite what you'd do on 2-wheels - takes a little gettin' used to; an oh yeah, get used to raising the inside wheel of the trike on turns. In fact, once you realize the trike kit is designed to lean to the outside and that the inside wheel will raise off the ground, you discover a whole new dimension of triking that allows you to be ride much more aggressively and have lots more fun!

On the upside, braking is enhanced drastically and you feel safer in most every road hazard scenario. Blowing out your rear MC tire is not as big of a deal on a trike with a removable kit. The trike cuts a bigger profile from the back and sides, which may help with with inattentive cagers. The passenger doesn't even need you anywhere near the trike to get on and off. Try that on 2-wheels :)

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what it's called, but did you all install a "rake kit", for enhanced steering control? Heard about that; inside wheel lifting on a curve. Sounds kinda freaky from someone who's never rode a trike. How long did it take to get used to riding one? Hear there's a learning curve involved. How long do your trike tires last?

·
Super Moderator
7,638 Posts
On a regular trike you install a rake kit with the Voyager its not needed.
Actually you don't know the wheel is off the ground, as you always have three in contact with the pavement. It does more to freak out the people behind you.
Biggest thing with a trike is, 'Do not put feet down' ouch! Steer the trike with the Voyager you can lean so you don't feel like you're being push to the outside. Didn't take me too long, maybe a week. Voyager tires last a long time.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I have the tow pac insta trike on both my wings and love it. I can take the tow pac off in about 15 min and be back to two wheels if I wanted. As stated above it will take you about a week to get use to it. As trike lady said the rake kits are for regular trikes as it would be totally useless on a bike that can be converted back to two wheels like mine. Look around on Ebay and craigslist to find used tow pacs. This is where I got my last one for the 1800.

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a Voyager mounted to a 97 Valkerie that the seller is wanting to sell for 2k which includes a HF motorcycle lift. Will this Voyager mount up to a GL 1500 without other mounting adapters?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I found a Voyager mounted to a 97 Valkerie that the seller is wanting to sell for 2k which includes a HF motorcycle lift. Will this Voyager mount up to a GL 1500 without other mounting adapters?
Dan, I looked into those with my Shadow, before I bought the 1500. Now mine is triked out "Motor Tryke". The wheel lifting on a curve so easily on a voyager type is because when they are installed, their wheels are slightly higher than your motorcycle rear wheel in order to maintain your traction on your rear wheel. It is not a major, you probably won't notice. However, You do need the proper clamps and attaching gear for your 1500, versus other bikes. Voyager can probably tell you what you need and sell you the parts. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan, I looked into those with my Shadow, before I bought the 1500. Now mine is triked out "Motor Tryke". The wheel lifting on a curve so easily on a voyager type is because when they are installed, their wheels are slightly higher than your motorcycle rear wheel in order to maintain your traction on your rear wheel. It is not a major, you probably won't notice. However, You do need the proper clamps and attaching gear for your 1500, versus other bikes. Voyager can probably tell you what you need and sell you the parts. Good luck.
Thanks Jack. I thought perhaps the Valkerie and 1500 had the same frame since they're of same vintage line. If I do this I'm on a limited budget and need to research my front end costs.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks Jack. I thought perhaps the Valkerie and 1500 had the same frame since they're of same vintage line. If I do this I'm on a limited budget and need to research my front end costs.
You may need the bracket set for the GL1500 if it's not the same as the one for the Valk - around $800, I believe. You may have to call Voyager to find that out...

Phone: (815) 434-7900
E-mail: [email protected]

According to this chart, the GL1500 takes the B-version as does the Valk...http://www.trikemanusa.com/HardwareKitInfo.html

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
Dan, I've never ridden a TowPac or Voyager so I can't compare it to my MotorTrike. But as jackpoet said above, both brands are mounted with the outrigger wheels slightly off the ground and your original rear tire giving all the traction, acceleration and braking. That is, I don't think the outriggers have brakes. The simply keep you from tipping at slow speeds. When somebody talks about lifting the outside rear wheel, I doubt he's talking about excessive speed that might cause a roll-over. With theses outrigger kits, you can rock them side to side while sitting still. We have over 30 hard-mounted trikes in our chapter. NONE of them have ever lifted a rear wheel at speed. On the other hand, the right wheel of a sidecar can easily be lifted in a hard right turn.

Three downsides for any trike setup.....1) You will hit 95% of all of the potholes, rocks, roadkill, etc unless you change lanes. Keep in mind your using all three tracks of the lane. So it will probably be a bit rougher ride, especially for your co rider. 2) What Pam dislikes most about our trike happens when I go through a turn too quickly. On a two-wheeler, as you lean into a turn, physics push you and your co-rider down into the seat. On a trike you don't lean but rather steer with the handle bars through the turn. The trikes remains almost erect to the surface and physics will you push you and your rider horizontally toward the outer edge of the seat. More than once Pam has dug into my ribs midturn and slapped the back of my helmet exiting the turn. 3) if your shoulder becomes a long term problem, it may be your biggest issue with any trike. As GWTrike said above, a trike has to be muscled through the turns. A rake kit (or easy steer kit) changes the rake of the forks to lessen the effort required to steer the trike. But with these TowPac and Voyager kits, if you remove the kit to use the bike as a two-wheeler, the rake kit will actually make the bike much more difficult to control at slow speeds ..... read more likely to tip over.

I hope you know you are more than welcome to take mine for an orientation ride anytime.

Stay in touch and ride safe. Randy

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Even the outriggers steer easier w/a rake kit but, you can not go back on 2 anymore!
One does not have to learn to muscle a trike in a turn if you install the proper rake kit.
Most of the major brand IRS trikes ride better that a stock Wing.
If one pushes down w/the outside foot in a turn, one will not feel like one is being thrown off the seat!
IMHO, I would purchase one of the outriggers only if you can not afford a true trike conversion.
Best advice is to test ride what you think you are interested in before you spend your money and find out you made a terrible mistake.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Dan, if the driveway is the only problem, is there a fix for that that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Or, are you really just hankering for a trike?

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dan, if the driveway is the only problem, is there a fix for that that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Or, are you really just hankering for a trike?
Will, my first priority is having the road fixed as that is the real problem as I'm fine with riding two wheels otherwise. I think the best plan would be to buy a tractor with box blade and keep the road maintained and not let it get so rough. We're having some dozer work done next week which should help allot. If I can keep it maintained and graded periodically it should be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The most important things to realize when looking at a convertible trike are longevity, handling, and safety.

The Voyager is the only kit tested by an independent*engineering firm because we care about longevity and safety. If you have a kit that hooks up to a Goldwing's bag bars, it's only a matter of time before there's a failure in strength.

Weak connection points are a cause of less safety and constant maintenance.

For handling, you need a trike that will keep you upright and stable. If a convertible trike has independent wheel suspension (on each outrigger wheel), turning will be more difficult. This is because when going around a curve, the outside wheel suspension will give, forcing you to lean more to the outside of the curve as compared with the Voyager trike. This gives you the sensation of being on a boat and makes curves more difficult. The Voyager will keep you more upright and keeps its preload on the road making turning the easier.

Also, for the best possible handling, you need to make sure the outrigger wheels are within 3" of the motorcycles rear axle. If it is outside of this, you will feel a drag and looseness in turns.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My findings are some what different than others have posted!
The "outriggers" are NOT mounted with their wheels "slightly" off the ground as suggested in one thread.
Who would want to ride tilted to one side all the time!
There is preload to set on these outriggers.
There are suspensions on these units and yes one can rock from side to side while stationary! Made that way to keep one from being tossed side to side while riding on varying surfaces!
Also, it does not take excessive corner speed to lift the inside wheel!
BTW, pushing down w/your outside foot on your peg/board eliminates the feeling of being "horizontally" pushed on any trike or outrigger unit.
Those true trikes that extend the OEM wheel base and are IRS are in fact, much smoother on any surface than the 2 wheeled bike or a trike that maintains the OEM wheel base.
One more "for real",on a true trike, it is possible to raise the inside tire in a tight turn(Deal's Gap type 15mph turns for example) if you accelerate coming out of the turn!!!! Ask the guy that followed me on his CanAm Chasing the Dragon's Tail!!!!!!
All this means that people have differing opinions about the same topics.
Satisfy yourself!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before you buy a trike

Check out the Leg Up Landing Gear. I have a back problem and had to have help balancing when I stop. I did not want a trike because I felt that was like having a convertible car. I found the Landing Gear. It is a device that will deploy from under your bike to help support it when you stop. When you slow to under 5 MPH it comes down. I found later that I had to have more support and had the Landing Gear Plus added to my unit. With this a person with no use of their legs can ride. The cost of the Whole unit was $3500 and was done in a day. That was in 2009. So It may be more now. The unit retracts under the bike and is almost invisible and the bike ride like a motorcycle until you stop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Everyone, I'm new to these forums and I'm finding a lot of useful information from all of you. I purchased an 01 gl1800 with a voyager kit back in July and love it. Yes the wheel does come up off the ground when going around a turn quite often and I get great enjoyment freaking out the cars behind me. But there is no way the bike can flip over no matter how fast you are going around that turn. At first I thought the bike was a little hard to turn but now I guess I've adjusted to it and don't even notice anymore. But I'm finding I really enjoy the voyager kit. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts