Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bad arm and my GL1800 is a handful for me so I'm wanting to get it converted into a trike. Does anyone know if getting the conversion affects the waranty. We have a local Custom Trike shop that does excellent conversions using Motortrike kits, but I haven't called them yet.

Does the conversion have to be done at a Honda dealer to not affect the warranty?

Thanks for your input.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Interesting point jayhawk. I have a gal pal that has a CSC conversion and had the rear diff go out on her due to improper greasing of the unit during conversion/assembly. As the conversion is a 'modification' Honda has no part of it and the ball was in CSC's court last I knew. She's really hoping they'll do right by her and replace the diff, but it was very close to a year after purchase so it's been a bit of a battle for her. The mechanic that did the work is no longer there, and this wasn't the first one that it happened to...hmmmm.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
This is a sticky question and in Honda's book turning a new Wing into a trike voids the warranty. Some dealers will look the other way and not mention it has been triked on a warranty claim.
When getting a trike don't forget the raked triple trees for easy steering.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Budoka,

I've read that the CSC conversions have had a number of failures that you describe. Your friend may want to check with others to see if they have had the same problem. It could be a big problem for CSC.. This comment was posted elsewhere:

Sneaky Snake, we're talking about two differently designed driveline systems here. I'm only pointing out that the CSC failures are occurring in the same area of the driveline, the HONDA designed and engineered driveshaft. Remember, we're talking about two different systems: the 1st Gen. which used the GL1500/Valkyrie yoke (which dries up for lack of lubrication) and the 2nd Gen. system which fails due to the HONDA designed and engineered front shafts female splined gears shearing. Two different systems, two distinct failures. But, the common denominator is that it's a HONDA drive shaft that's failing. However, you can't fault HONDA. They didn't intend for those shafts to be used on a trike.

It was explained to me the other day that every mechanical design has a weakness, be it intentional or inherent. If this is true, then the drive systems, in these two instances, are the weak links.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Jayhawk, to answer your question, anytime you modify a wing, regardless if the change, you run the risk of having Mother Honda tell you you have voided the warranty. BUT, it's my understanding that if you push it, they must prove that your change caused the problem. Still a legal mess, but there are thousands of trikes out there and folks love them. Know this does not answer your question, but at least is some info to process..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't figure Honda would warrant the trike parts. The Honda dealership wherwe I bought the bike had a new trike setting in the showroom and they do conversions there.

I guess best thing to do is contact Sunrise Honda and find out first. May have to ride it until the warranty expires and make sure the bugs are all out. When I do get it done I'll make sure the oil in the differentual before I ride out of the lot.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Try a voyager kit or Tow Pac kit ,don't think that will void your warranty. As no mod is done to the bike it's just a bolt on set , I plan on this rout some day.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Voyager, Trigg Trike and Tow-pac are an add on unit and are not considered a modification, they are more of an accessory. I haven't heard of anyone who has put one on a brand new bike having a problem.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Voyager, TowPac, etc. and any trike conversion are all considered an accessory and they can and do affect the warranties.
Also, contrary to what those that do not understand the MM law say, it will not be up to the dealer to prove an unauthorized accessory or modification caused a failure.
Basically-Any non-approved part or modification can affect the warranty. Even factory approved parts and modifications must be added/done at an authorized dealer by a trained tech or warranty claims may be in question.
Even conversions done at Honda dealerships can have claims denied by Honda since Honda has no authorized conversions!
Dishonest dealers that turn their head the other way, may get some coverage taken care of. Especially if they did your conversion.
But, have that failure occur 1,000 miles away from home and that dealer may not "sneak" it through or even at "home" a rep may show up to review the failure and your trike will be flagged in the warranty system.
Now as to the failures that are in jeopardy on a trike. Any drive train issue is liable to have a warranty claim rejected. While other items that are not part of the conversion may still be covered.
Anyone that says(dealer or not) the entire warranty is voided because of being a trike is wrong.
How can I provide this info knowing it true? I throughly researched this very question with several dealers that did and did not do conversions, talked to many conversion companies(Hannigan was the only one that flat out said your warranty will be voided, adding a conversion) and talking to Honda Customer Service before I triked my Wing last year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts