Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody heard of, or used, a trigger wheel to change the timing on their GL1500 or GL1200? I've heard that they will increase the fuel mileage 5 mpg or more, but I'm skeptical about anything that isn't proven.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i have a trigger wheel for my 1500 but it has not been installed yet. i've never heard of a trigger wheel for a 1200 wing

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
I've been curious about that as well. When you get yours put on doc let us know the results. I have never heard of it available on a 1200 either.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
What is a trigger wheel and what does it do? Does it change the timing? Does it really increase the mpg? Where do you get them? I remember my old Mercury outboard had a trigger mechanism on the distributor and it went out on me going down a bayou out of Venice, LA about 2 miles from the gulf. It would not crank and had to get towed 30 miles back up the MS river. I was heavy into bass fishing back then.
So what does the "trigger wheel" on a MC do?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The trigger wheel was designed to help the early 1500 Gold Wings, 1988 & 1989 mainly. They had a hesitation when taking off from a stop and advancing the timing helped that, no increase in gas mileage that I ever heard about.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
I did install a trigger wheel on my Valk, it did add miles per gal, I use to get 250 klm before reserve, with the trigger I got 270 to 280 klm and more power. The Air Lake was the one to buy at the time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Did mine when I replaced the belt. It stopped that embarrasing hesitation on my 89 and performance seems to have increased a bit. My friends 97 used to leave me a few lengths behind when we initially checked her out,but not anymore. I didn't notice any improvement in gas mileage though I'll pay a little more attention to that and see.

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have a trigger wheel for my 1500 but it has not been installed yet. i've never heard of a trigger wheel for a 1200 wing
Hey Doc,

You ever get that installed?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Actually you don't need to buy a new trigger wheel, you can use the one on the bike and file a little off the tab to increase the timing.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I installed one on my '88 1500 last fall just after I got the bike.. when I did the timing belts, very easy install.
It advances the timing by 3 deg. I can't comment on the gas mileage improvement, have not had mine on the road yet:(
I never heard anything about improved gas mileage though.

I have heard of modifying the factory wheels, but not sure exactly how that's done..aside from changing the profile a bit. I "think" I got mine from Wingstuff..I paid $30.:) For only $30 to me it's not worth playing with it, but lots of guys like to tinker..so..have at it!:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts