Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the timing advance trigger wheel in when I replaced the belts.

http://wingstuff.com/products/20358-timing-advance-trigger-wheel?sitesync=done

When the bike is warmed up it seems to run just fine. I haven't been able to ride enough to notice any effect on the fuel economy.

Has anyone else had experience with these? I originally though that it was going to advance the valve timing but, from what I can tell, it only effects the spark timing. Either way, most of the feedback I could find before I committed to this was favorable.

The bike is extremely hard to start in the cold. Could the wheel have something to do with this? or is it just because I'm trying to start it when the ambient temperature is under 30f?

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
My 93 gets a little cranky about starting when it really cold.
All I ever heard about the trigger wheel making a difference was on the early 1500's where it solved a hesitation issue they had.
I would not count on seeing any vast improvements.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought one for my '89 and will be installing it, along with new timing belts, as soon as I get it back from crash damage repair. I'm hoping it gets rid of the off idle hesitation (feels like a lean carb issue to me but that's not what I've read). For $40.00 it certainly is worth a try.

·
Registered
101 Posts
well got the belts and trigger wheel installed last night, kind of a PITA but got it done. HUGE help from Steve Saunders step by step instructions. Fired it up and all is good reassembly of covers, etc. tonight/tomorrow, time permitting. Maybe a ride this weekend as its suppose to warm up some.

All back together, test ride this weekend. Job was a bit tedious but not as bad as I thought. R&R plastics is a PITA but I'm sure it gets easier the more you do it. I've rebuilt entire engines so cam timing is easy for me. Got a bit jumpy at one point when I pulled off the crank pulleys and the inner flange fell off, then noticed it was "keyed" to the left side pulley via a dimple. Then the heater duct R&R is a real PITA.

Will report back on any significant changes in performance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The new trigger wheel really helped my bike a LOT. Still a dead spot right off idle and I'm convinced it's a lean bog. Put some B44 in the tank that's supposed to help with the ethanol crap plugging jets and rode another 30 miles, plus topped off with premium. Hoping getting some of that into the carb will loosen up the gunk, don't think its much but there's still a stumble. I'm really finicky on jetting, my dirtbikes have always been spot on and I know how to jet both 2 and 4 strokes. Also suspect carb synch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.