Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you Goldwingers had any work done by these folks? If so, what work did you have done? I'd like to hear your comments.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Traxxion

I had my 2008 suspension up-dated by Adam at Rocketmoto in New Hampshire. He did a great job. I'm am more than satisfied with the upgrades. I got the "Full Monty" which is everything but the new triple trees. (Springs, cartridges, all balls bearings and rear shock with braided line.) Rear preload now starts at 0. Prior to the upgrade it would'nt begin to preload until almost 5. No more decel wobble. Corners like its on rails. Added ground clearance so no more grinding pegs in tight corners.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sr71,thank you for the response. obviously money/expense is always a factor but is there any other reason you didn't do the triple tree upgrade as well? what's your opinion on this additional upgrade?

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Traxxion

Don, It was a financial thing. If I were able to afford the extra $$ I would have done it. The way I am figuring it, at the 24K service for the rebuilt forks, I will have Adam do the triple trees. In retrospect maybe I should have done the triple trees and not the rear shock as costwise they are close. The OEM Trees are the weakest part of the front suspension I've been told.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Traxxion

I paid right around $2900.00 for the upgrade. This included: Springs, Cartridges, Seals, All-Balls Steering Head Bearings, Fork Brace with Guards, Rear Shock with Braided Steel Line and installation for all of the above.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Consider a RaceTech setup. It works with plenty of lap times around a racetrack as well as off-road to test them out. Hands down, the top line RaceTech rear shock is much better but also more expensive. I believe the Traxxion rear shock is a Penske unit. I've seen many blow outs/leaks/inconsistent valving with the Traxxion rear shock. Traxxion helped at first to get a replacement but eventually would not honor any further help when blowing out a second shock. Absolutely no problems with the RT unit. I like the Traxxion front cartridge setup but find the RaceTech is just as good for a fraction of the cost. I know from first hand experience that the RT rear shock (G3-S) is worlds superior to the Traxxion unit for severe duty. The bearing upgrade is good.

Consider the type of riding you do. If you push it, upgrading the entire suspension (springs & valving) will make a world of difference. However, just know that the biggest benefit is due to the heavier fork and shock springs as it is getting the big Wing to sit higher, closer to ideal suspension sag. You can always upgrade to heavier springs for most the benefit (disable anti-dive) with the lowest cost. Suspension 101: Always get the spring rate/sag set first.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The OEM Trees are the weakest part of the front suspension I've been told.
Absolutely not true. Weak springs is the main culprit. Remember, when you add stiffer springs, you also change the front end suspension geometry. Dont spend that kind of money unless you have extra to drop or want bling for your bike. I'm not saying it's not better, just not cost effective.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never ride 2 up. That said, I wonder about the rear shock upgrade vs the tree upgrade. Like sr71 I was thinking of skipping the rear shock but doing the triple tree upgrade, that is Full Monty minus the rear shock but add the triple tree

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
It's a good thing I'm kinda broke at the moment or I'd be looking at some front end options too. Maybe next year and I'm leaning towards what Dookoo mentions. I know I can have one of my tech guys do the RT mod, but I don't want them doing the Traxxion kit without training (warranty issues like Dookoo mentions) and they'll likely never do another one so it's just not cost effective for the shop. One thing is certain, I'm not doing it myself so.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Trust me, you can DIY. Nothing like talking to your baby while you work on her. But, if you trust her to other men, so be it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts