Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Goldwing family and am looking at an '87 1200 with 34K miles. Need info such as useful life of the engine and any other useful info for a novice.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Engine is good for about 200,00 miles if treated right, the weak spot is the stator, if and when it goes out it's about $1,000 to replace. Check and see if the owner has replaced it yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Joe why so high? I have a new (to me) 81 that has 38,000. It does not charge the batt. so i'm thinking I have a stator problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe,
Thanks for the info. This is what I need to make a decision and would appreciate any other advise concerning the purchase of a used Goldwing.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Can't help you much with your questions about a 1200 since I never owned one, but I can welcome you to the forum from the Keystone state. Ride safe what ever you have and enjoy the forum. Lots of good info and folks on here...

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Billy, the big cost for most guys with 1200's replacing a stator is labour; you need to pull the engine out of the frame to get at the stator, it's in the left rear side of the engine. The first time we did mine we worked from 5:30 pm until 3:00 am (myself and the local shop mechanic) and we'd never tackled one before. 2nd time it was just me and I did it in my garage by myself on a Saturday night/Sunday project. 3rd one I said screw it and took it to a dealership in Edmonton and ponied up the shop fee; I already had purchased a stator. Lots of talk here on the forum about soldering the contacts and heat shrinking to prevent voltage leaks/arcing etc. You can also do an alternator conversion, but there are some pro's and con's to that from what I've heard. Rest of the bike is pretty solid and easy to maintain, no major problems to deal with; just remember you are dealing with a 25 year old machine. Best of luck.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
price for stator replacement is high because of labor, the engine has to be removed or turned sideways in the frame to get to the stator and don't forget all the parts hhat have to be disconnected / reconnected to do the job

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Wow Joe ! How much would one be for an '06 ? I might quit using the reverse. :eek:
I believe they said "stator", not "starter". Not a problem with the 06..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts