Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am traveling to pick up a bike this weekend. I will be trailering it home as I want to adjust to it before I take it on the interstate for 5 hours.

I am concerned about getting it in the uhaul trailer. It looks like it may bottom out. Also, where is the best place to use straps on it? I see most bikes are at the front fork area below the suspension. On the newer bikes it looks like it may be hard to do this?

any advise welcome and appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I can attest that the bike will bottom out. I would put a piece of wood or something under the tailgate when it's on the ground to lift the gate up a bit to decrease the angle where the tailgate meets the bed of the trailer. Also, raise the suspension to the highest level, (if tour model, adjust to two people plus luggage setting). It will be close and take your time driving up, don't be like me and rip off part of your muffler and gouge the under side of the engine.
There may be others that can advise on how to tie down. I put straps around the center of the steering head (not sure if that is the correct name for it). Just about the fender. I drove about 2 hrs without a issue.
I would remove the seat and tie the back to the frame on each side. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Buying from a dealer? Have them print a copy of Honda's tie down instructions and witness your following these instructions in case of a future warranty claim.

Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Newspaper Font

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Raise the tongue jack on the trailer. That will lessen the angle of the ramp. Make sure you have the trailer wheels chocked to keep it from moving. Also, ask the U Haul dealer what the weight capacity of the ramp is. You will be rolling 800lbs up the center of the ramp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The U-Haul trailer will work fine. But like the first poster said, your'e major concern is bottoming out at the transition point from ramp to trailer. You can do lots of damage there, I bent by exhaust clamps, lucky that was it. You will have to make the transition less steep. For tie down points I used the Goldstrike tie down points, but obviously you won't have them at this point. You can wrap a strap around the the large silver portion under the fairing. I also remove the black tip over protectors in the rear as a rear tie down point. All straps towards the front of the trailer.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Unless you have a wheel chock in the trailer or have the front wheel against the front of the trailer, do not
The U-Haul trailer will work fine. But like the first poster said, your'e major concern is bottoming out at the transition point from ramp to trailer. You can do lots of damage there, I bent by exhaust clamps, lucky that was it. You will have to make the transition less steep. For tie down points I used the Goldstrike tie down points, but obviously you won't have them at this point. You can wrap a strap around the the large silver portion under the fairing. I also remove the black tip over protectors in the rear as a rear tie down point. All straps towards the front of the trailer.
Unless the trailer has a wheel chock, or the front wheel is against the front of the trailer, do not put all straps facing forward. Two up front forward and side ones facing slightly toward the rear. Here is a picture of how Honda transports the bike from the factory. Seat removed and rear straps attached to the frame, front straps attached to the lower part of the engine guards.
I would be concerned about using the steering head.

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motorcycle Automotive tire

·
Registered
84 Posts
See if there's a "sidewalk" with a "curb" you can get your bike onto. Then, drop the trailer ramp onto the "curb". The higher the curb, the less angle you have to contend with.

When I drove tractor trailer with a lift gate, I did that all the time. I would lower the liftgatel onto the raised "sidewalk".

Not the best picture, but this gives you an idea.
Building Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 8 of 8 Posts