Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 1800, with 4300 miles on it. Two things.. One it makes a grumbling sound when you engage the clutch. Is this normal?
Also: Several times now, when I think I am shifting into 5th, it pops back into 4th under easy acceleration. It almost feels like it is in 5th, and someone is pulling in the clutch real fast and down shifting into 4th. If that makes sense but of course all I am doing is working the throttle and completely off of the clutch. I think I might not be forcing it into 5th real firm when this happens, but after 35 years of riding all sorts of bikes I have never felt anything like it. Anyone notice anything like this?:confused:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Get it checkd out

I would bring it straight to the dealer where you purchased it. As a Wing owner myself, you sound like you have, at the very least, an adjustment issue - or on the other end of the spectrum, it could mean replacement of certain parts.

Good Luck. Your due diligence of bringing it right in is your priority right now.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Interesting info Joe. I'm going to share that with my pals (?!*&) at Honda Canada and see what kind of response I get.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been doing research in consideration of keeping the Goldwing on my short list. Tranny problems can be such a huge pain, not to mention expensive. When I ran across that info on fixing the clunking, that got me to thinking that the core problem may really be with the linkage vs. the transmission. If the linkage is not right, then the tranny would eat itself at some point. I'll be interested in hearing what Honda Canada has to say.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Am I missing something?? I only have 4 speeds (gears).............

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Maybe I'm getting old and forgetful,,,,,,,,,,I'll have to count them tomorrow,but I could swear it's only 4.........I've only had it a couple weeks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From the looks of your pic Oldtimer, you have 1 down and 4 up = 5 speeds. If not...you need to take it in for someone to look at.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Mine can be noisy but so was my 98 GL1500. I've just gotten use to it and go my merry way. Tranny still shifts fine without any problems, just noisy at times.. Ride safe..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts